SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Helix nebula help.

Nova2000

Hey! 

I'm happy I and my friends have finalized our star party (small outing actually)  next week! 

I am kind of bored with the messier objects in the winter sky. 

When browsing the net I saw the Helix nebula and realized it's a mag7! And it's pretty big. 

Can you'll share your experiences and techniques on how to locate this nebula? 

Thankyou 

Clear skies 

No luck. I had a go yesterday: 150/750 Newtonian at around 20:00. CDC sync at Fomalhaut and checked on globular m30 which was dead centre. Then the helix: nada. This was Spain, 38ºN and it was already getting low. Maybe in India it will be higher earlier and you'll stand a better chance (?) but in the end I think you're gonna need photography to get it. Don't give up though:) HTH.

• 2 weeks later...

The ability to see this one is havely influenced by how dark the sky is. From a dark site in Brazil it is almost over head and I can see it with my 80mm frac. From a dark site in Spain also a beautiful view with a 5" reflector. Not seen yet from the UK due to light polution.

• 2 months later...
On 12/22/2016 at 21:13, pjsmith_6198 said:

An OIII filter works miracles on this one.   From my back yard where I do my observing, I can't see it without a nebula filter.    A UHC will work, but the OIII is better, at least to my eyes.

Bang on here!

Here's some help for you. First, find the constellation Aquarius, and then follow the Helix from the triangle!

Helix 1  copy.jpg

Helix 2.JPG

Helix 3.JPG

Helix 4.JPG

Archived