stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

Celestron SkyPortal use in an observatory

I have my Celestron 9.25 AVX permanently mounted in my observatory.  So having done my alignment I simply hibernate the scope when I finish and restart the next time with minimum fuss.  What advantages would I gain by using the Celestron SkyPortal with my Android phone?  I mainly do imaging.

Edited by CSM
left a bit out

My understanding is that all SkyPortal will do is let you connect to the mount wirelessly for finding targets and slewing etc. but if you're imaging you won't be able to use it for capture, so probably not much benefit really.

Just now, CSM said:

Thanks.  That's what I thought.  Really need totally wifi cameras as well - reliable ones that is.  Guess we will have to wait a few years yet.

The Foscam ones are reasonably good, but of course "good reliable" wifi cameras are hard to come by, and the ones that are really do attract a premium.

As far as I can see the Foscam ones aren't for astronomy, unlike the Astrel ones - AST8300-B-M-FW.  Will be interesting to see if/when the likes of Atik, ZWO, etc. come up with.

33 minutes ago, CSM said:

As far as I can see the Foscam ones aren't for astronomy, unlike the Astrel ones - AST8300-B-M-FW.  Will be interesting to see if/when the likes of Atik, ZWO, etc. come up with.

Ah sorry I'm a plonker, for some reason I thought you mean cameras as in CCTV.   My mistake entirely.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By DeepSkyMan
      Hey guys, hoping to launch my Observatory build this year (2.7m Pulsar), and looking for some advice on electrical requirements.  Apologies for the brain dump, but when I started typing this up, I just seemed to keep coming up with other questions:-)
      My observatory site will require a 20m cable run from the house, which I am hoping will be as a spur off existing circuitry, although still to get my tame electrician to give me the low-down on the best solution. 
      Normal approach is to run a sub-surface conduit for both data and electricity supply, however it occurred to me that an alternative approach might be to have above surface conduits running from a supply point at the house to a receiving point at the observatory, somewhat along the lines of caravan hookups at camping sites.  Would be interested to hear from folks on this approach, especially if anyone has gone down this route.  
      Assuming we go down the sub-surface route:
      1/.  What would be an appropriate depth to lay the power and data conduits?
      2/.  Has anybody had data quality issues when running Ethernet in close proximity to a power conduit?  Data medium will be over CAT6, so I’m hoping that the more stringent specifications will be sufficient to remove this as a possible problem.  I’m aware of general protocols, which advise  against laying data cables parallel to power cables for extended lengths.  In the event that this is still an issue what approaches have people taken to providing similar data solutions for their own observatories?
      3/.  I’m also interested in future proofing the obsy with regards to power sockets.  Straight up, the following supply requirements spring to mind:
      —  Mount
      —  Computer
      —  Camera
      —  Dew control (transformed to 12V DC).  Possible I may continue to use my existing batteries for this purpose.  How have you guys tackled this?
      —  Dehumidifier
      So I’m thinking 4 double sockets should cater for these and provide me with sufficient expansion for unforeseen circumstance.  Is this sufficient?  Am I missing something?
       What is the maximum advisable current draw?  Intention is to have all supplies run through a fuse box local to the observatory and of course all plugs will utilise standard domestic fuses as well.
      With regards to lighting what solutions have you guys gone with?  I was thinking about just using a single standard red outdoor light, but it occurred to me that shadows might be an issue and so got to thinking about a surround lighting approach, perhaps using something similar to this:
      https://hartingtonheath.com/product/i-lumos-10-x-20mm-rgb-led-flexible-waterproof-neon-strip-light/
      On the possibility of an entirely WIFI based approach to data.  Is this realistic?  This would likely require booster units for the existing house WIFI, however I’m thinking that even then, data transfer rates for imaging might be an issue if I graduate to remote operation.
      Kind Regards
      Paul.

• By Corpze
      Hi, I have recently bought and mounted a third version of a weather monitoring station, this time a non DIY product - The Lunatico AAG Cloudwatcher and the Solo computer with it.

I have been running a weather monitor for five years now, but because i lack front-end coding (or hasn't taken the time learning it) I have been looking for a out-of-the-box product which presents the data in a nice way.
      The difference between this product and the two other models I have made earlier is the raspberry pi and the webserver capability. 

The earlier versions hade the capability to output a "safe" or "not safe" command to my sequence program.
       This version from lunatico has the capability to output a folder in my network with a boltwood textfile, or direct via ASCOM.

So far, i have been running this for two weeks now and it is working very nice. The data is presented on a webpage very nice and it has 100% uptime as of now.
      Just one time, the cloud temperature has been presented wrong, this happend during a weather change from +2 degrees celsius and overcast to about -10 degree celsius with clear sky in a matter in a couple of hours.

please feel free to comment and ask questions

/Daniel

• By Astrofriend
      When I post photos and stories about old observatories I get a lot of positive reactions. When I wrote about Stockholm's old observatory I found a very nice and interesting story written almost 90 years ago by the Swedish astronomer Östen Bergstrand. It's written in Swedish. I feel I must spend some hours and translate it into English for all of you that don't talk or read Swedish language, the first four pages are now translated.
      The article's name in English is: Astronomical observatories in Sweden, by Östen Bergstrand:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/observatory-sites/swedens-old-observatories/01-swedens-old-observatories.html
      Let me know if you find it interesting and I translate more of the pages into English. The Swedish language in this article is very old and difficult to translate and my English isn't the best either. But you will understand what's written.
      /Lars
    • By Ade Turner
      I’ve been using my 8’ Edge HD on an Evolution mount for a couple of years now and I added a wedge to it a few months back. Using SkyPortal with StarSense I’ve never really had any major issues getting it aligned. 

Last night I was setting up to photograph Mars and went through my normal procedure. StarSense took its images but, after confirming success with the third plate, instead of just winding up a bit and parking it proceeded to pitch the ota towards the north well below the horizon.

Fortunately nothing snagged. I skipped the ASPA and instructed it to goto Mars and was surprised to find it was spot on (better than usual actually).

Anyone any ideas why it took that nose dive? Thanks.

• By Astrofriend
      I have already earlier written an article about the old observatory at Stockholm in Sweden where I live. Only 30 minutes away from my home by the subway. A friend to me, Nippe, told me that he had written an article about that observatory's history. I got permission to use it on my homepage. I have translated it to english (not perfect but I hope you understand the information) and implemented it among my earlier photos from the observatory.
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/observatory-sites/stockholms-observatory/stockholm-observatory.html
      Nippe's history article is very interesting, a lot of information about the observatory that I wasn't aware about.
      Enjoy reading !
      /Lars

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.