Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron SkyPortal use in an observatory

CSM

I have my Celestron 9.25 AVX permanently mounted in my observatory.  So having done my alignment I simply hibernate the scope when I finish and restart the next time with minimum fuss.  What advantages would I gain by using the Celestron SkyPortal with my Android phone?  I mainly do imaging.

My understanding is that all SkyPortal will do is let you connect to the mount wirelessly for finding targets and slewing etc. but if you're imaging you won't be able to use it for capture, so probably not much benefit really.

Just now, CSM said:

Thanks.  That's what I thought.  Really need totally wifi cameras as well - reliable ones that is.  Guess we will have to wait a few years yet.

The Foscam ones are reasonably good, but of course "good reliable" wifi cameras are hard to come by, and the ones that are really do attract a premium.

As far as I can see the Foscam ones aren't for astronomy, unlike the Astrel ones - AST8300-B-M-FW.  Will be interesting to see if/when the likes of Atik, ZWO, etc. come up with.

33 minutes ago, CSM said:

As far as I can see the Foscam ones aren't for astronomy, unlike the Astrel ones - AST8300-B-M-FW.  Will be interesting to see if/when the likes of Atik, ZWO, etc. come up with.

Ah sorry I'm a plonker, for some reason I thought you mean cameras as in CCTV.   My mistake entirely.

Archived