SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What filter to get

Herzy

I have a modified T3i on the way that I am excited for. I also bought a clip in UV/IR cut filter for it. I have around $160 to spend on some accessories. Originally, I planned to get a FF/FR, but they are on back order until April, so I decided to explore light pollution filters instead. 

Since I already have a UV/IR cut filter, I guess I don't need a filter with that built in. That way, I'll have two filters. Ill have the clip in UV/IR cut filter and a 2" LP filter that screws into the focuser somewhere. But at the same time, I thought that the filters work better closer to the camera (I may be wrong about that), so the LP filter would be less useful so far away from the camera. 

Also, I don't know what filter to get. I don't know which ones are good and which ones aren't.

If you have any other ideas for accessories besides an LP filter, please say! 

Thanks,

Hayden

2 hours ago, Herzy said:

But at the same time, I thought that the filters work better closer to the camera (I may be wrong about that), so the LP filter would be less useful so far away from the camera.

That is not true. In fact, if you later use a Focal Reducer you might find that some filters don't behave well closer to the camera than the reducer (e.g. the TRF-2008 gives me reflections if used with a CLS-CCD filter between itself and the camera).

The general trick to not getting reflections is to not have any two optical surfaces too close together. The more you separate your filter by the better. The clip is effectivly a 1.25 inch filter that has been moved closer to the camera to prevent vignetting on the APS-C sized sensor. In the case of a 2 inch filter you can put it at any distance you want from the sensor without a problem as the limitation is the focuser draw tube diameter. The filtering performance itself is not effected by distance.

As you have put a clip IV/IR cut in I am guessing (hoping) that you did not do a baader replacement when modified.

Personally I would be tempted to just get the Astronomik CLS CCD Clip £124 as it will be about the same cost as the 2" CLS non CCD filter £134.

Your DSLR filter choices boil down to  CLS, UHC and H-alpha.

The CLS is a general contrast enhancing filter that will help with all DSO's, unless you want an IDAS as massive cost then the Astronomik CLS is the one to go for in my opinion.

The UHC is a narrower filter that will work very will with emission nebula. Baader or Astronomik and you cant go too wrong.

The H-alpha is a narrow band filter and requires 10min guided subs for good results. But it will give a huge contrast boost to all H-alpha nebula (horses head for example) I dont recommend it as you first filter. If you do get one get the 12nm as with a dslr is much easier to focus.

1 hour ago, Adam J said:

The general trick to not getting reflections is to not have any two optical surfaces too close together. The more you separate your filter by the better. The clip is effectivly a 1.25 inch filter that has been moved closer to the camera to prevent vignetting on the APS-C sized sensor. In the case of a 2 inch filter you can put it at any distance you want from the sensor without a problem as the limitation is the focuser draw tube diameter. The filtering performance itself is not effected by distance.

As you have put a clip IV/IR cut in I am guessing (hoping) that you did not do a baader replacement when modified.

Personally I would be tempted to just get the Astronomik CLS CCD Clip £124 as it will be about the same cost as the 2" CLS non CCD filter £134.

Your DSLR filter choices boil down to  CLS, UHC and H-alpha.

The CLS is a general contrast enhancing filter that will help with all DSO's, unless you want an IDAS as massive cost then the Astronomik CLS is the one to go for in my opinion.

The UHC is a narrower filter that will work very will with emission nebula. Baader or Astronomik and you cant go too wrong.

The H-alpha is a narrow band filter and requires 10min guided subs for good results. But it will give a huge contrast boost to all H-alpha nebula (horses head for example) I dont recommend it as you first filter. If you do get one get the 12nm as with a dslr is much easier to focus.

Great information! Would you say the IDAS filter is significantly better than the CLS? I have enough for both now, so is the extra money worth it?

21 hours ago, Herzy said:

Great information! Would you say the IDAS filter is significantly better than the CLS? I have enough for both now, so is the extra money worth it?

Both? I would not get the CLS and the IDAS......personally i think that the IDAS is a little better. But not so much better so as to be worth the difference in price, at least not for my pocket. If you are going to get both get the CLS for galaxies etc and the UHC for emission nebula. If you are rolling in it get the IDAS and the UHC. I would say that the Astronomik UHC is the way to go. Its much narrower than the Baader one.

Archived