Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Astroblagger

PST Verses Quark?

Way better using either your 80 or 120 with appropriate energy rejection filter. There are some questions however over quality control (have a google or search on SGL) so that assumes you get a "good one"

• Like 1

No contest really as you are unlikely to fit the Quark to a 40mm telescope. However, a future PST mod could be a different matter!   :icon_biggrin:

Quark is around £1099.00, you don't need a ERF for 80mm need one for 120mm.

Not many suppliers in the UK now due to quality control issues I think.

Dave

Even with my 120 I just use a UV/IR cut filter with no problems on a tracking mount imaging for hours.

You might get away with that but some heat will get through based on my experience.  The erf protects your gear not your eyes.

Only image so eyes not in the equation. When I first started with the 120 I was worried about heating so was checking every few mins. I have never detected any heat rise even after hours. A different FR 120 scope may or maynot however result in some heat build up. 

• Like 1

I am basing my view on my 120ed with 1.25" Lunt wedge. It still got a little warm with a baader 2" uv/ir cut filter but nothing like as warm as without. . That said in the end I concluded there was no benefit or real risk so I sold the filter.

I'm pretty sure the official Daystar recommendation is that for 120mm you just need to use a uv/ir rejection filter as the ERF before the Quark- not an expensive front fitting ERF job - I did try this myself once with an Evostar 120mm f8 scope + Quark which was fine.

I suppose another option would be a 35nm Ha filter or similar?

1 minute ago, Moonshane said:

I suppose another option would be a 35nm Ha filter or similar?

That's what I use in my 152mm, a "real" ERF costs more than the scope :eek:

Dave