Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Opinion please

mikeDnight

I posted this here in the hope of getting some opinions as to a possible error in observation.

I made a sketch last night of what I thought at the time to be the crater Balmer. Due to the libration of the moon the object of study was close to the limb and almost in total shadow on the SE limb, hence the confusion. Later today I was looking at my moon map when it struck me that the crater I'd sketched looked more like Hecataeus, a crater closer to the limb. I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who can clear this probable mistake on my part clear?

Remember that this crater is possibly NOT Balmer and more likely is Hecataeus!

Mike

2016-12-15 10.12.21.jpg

Hi Mike,

Super crater sketch anyhow!, but having a look at Virtual Moon Atlas would seem to confirm your feeling that it is Hecataeus that you've actually observed. If you rotate your sketch 90 degrees anticlockwise and compare it to the screengrab of the Hecataeus area I've attached below, they seem to tally up.

Regards, Les

Hecataeus area.jpg

Hi Mike. It looks like Hecataeus. I have not sketched this crater myself, but looking at the Hatfield Atlas it seems to be very likely. It is certainly not Balmer which I have a rough sketch of. I have had similar experiences sketching objects at the limb. It's all part of the fun I suppose. Whatever it is it's a very nice sketch .

Thanks very much chaps! I've just spent some time looking at the moon through fast moving cloud and when I got a clear look, its definitely Hecataeus. I'll have to amend my labelling to read Hecataeus nd Balmer. ☺

Thanks also for your kind and forgiving comments. ???

Mike 

I don't know what it is but it's a nice sketch! I have the same issue quite often not being able to confirm moon features from the maps afterwards - small differences in the lighting seem to make big differences in what things look like.

As it's cloudy and I've got nothing better to do I've been having a look in sky safari. The shape looks more like hecateus but also, looking at where the terminator was at the time it looks like the crater floor of balmer would not have been so deep in shadow, ruling balmer out.

As I've only recently re-kindled the fires I had as a kid for loving our Moon, I won't venture a guess. However.....

If I was in a car and stranded on the Moon - lost - the road-map I'd choose to have to find my way about was mentioned earlier in the thread, the Virtual Moon Atlas. It is an excellent software-program with very good maps (photo), and much, much more. And it's free. so here's a link for this:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualmoon/

Happy Hunting!

Dave

21 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

As I've only recently re-kindled the fires I had as a kid for loving our Moon, I won't venture a guess. However.....

If I was in a car and stranded on the Moon - lost - the road-map I'd choose to have to find my way about was mentioned earlier in the thread, the Virtual Moon Atlas. It is an excellent software-program with very good maps (photo), and much, much more. And it's free. so here's a link for this:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualmoon/

Happy Hunting!

Dave

Thanks for that Dave.

Been wanting something like that. :D

Archived