Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Barnard's Star - the movie

661-pete

...well, a pretty meagre movie, I suppose, all of two frames :oops: ... but it spans the first year of a long-term project that I started upon this time last year. The first frame taken on 14 Aug 2007, the second on 29 July 2008. At this rate to get a decent animation I'll have to go on living to a ripe old age (I'm 58 now)! At least I can proudly utter the words "eppur si muove"!

Each frame was stack of 5 x 1 minute prime focus 350D (1600ISO) on the Europa 250. Not particularly challenging images, Barnard's is quite bright! Initial stack and also alignment of the two frames in ImagesPlus. Not quite sure I've quite got the alignment spot-on, may have another go at it.

barnardsstar200708002rq3.gif

This is also the first imaging I've done this year, after a long gap. I have more stuff waiting to process.

Onwards and upwards (as Barnard's seems to be going). Watch this space for the next episode, next year!

You took the time to do it Pete, and since it is not easy to show that stars do have a proper motion, Barnards being the exception, and by that I don't mean to belittle what you've done here.

It is a worthwhile excercise, and you are to be applauded sir. It may not have moved much, but move it has, and you have created a wothwhile educational demonstration.

Well done, and thank you.

Ron. :salute:

Fantastic, being a total Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy nut this has real meaning for me as it where Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect jump to on the Vogon ship.

Sorry for being a geek.

Jon

Ah, but Arthur and Ford never quite make it to Barnard's do they? being thrown off the ship by Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz on account of not sufficiently appreciating his poetry ....

I'm afraid you've got another HHGttG geek here.... :read:

Thanks for the kind words everybody. For this project all it takes is time and plenty of waiting! I was inspired by Robjn's post on UKAI last year, a 16-year effort!

Thanks for the kind words everybody. For this project all it takes is time and plenty of waiting! I was inspired by Robjn's post on UKAI last year, a 16-year effort!

Well done Pete I am sure Rob will be pleased to know that you are continuing with your project. I have attached his website address for those who would like to check his work.

http://www.fornax.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/barnards_star.html

Archived