Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

Picked up my new addition to my expanding family of 'fracs on Monday, but only got a chance for a very brief test out last night at a hazy moon. The Celstron Omni XLT 120mm f8.3 is in very nice condition (thanks Allan! :) ), which just needed the optics cleaning with a wee clean with some Baader cleaning fluid and cloth. The results which can be seen in the pics below came out extremely well. A brief glimpse of the moon gave a very pleasing image through the EP. Didn't a get chance to view anything else except one or two bright stars as the seeing was so poor, with haze and mist around, but hoping for a better night soon to have a crack at some double stars, DSO's and planets of course. Only issue I had was with the focuser which slipped quite easily with my 2" diagonal in and Morpheus 14mm EP. A quick strip down of the mechanism soon sorted that issue out relatively easily. Going to compare this mainly with my ST120 f5 'frac mainly and see which give the best results. I'll post results up as and when I get the chance. :)

IMG_1953.JPG

IMG_1956.JPG

IMG_1954.JPG

IMG_1955.JPG

PS. Oh, and Allan very generously gave me another 'frac for free too, so when I get round to checking that one out I'll let you know too. Cheers Allan! :) 

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Nice new playthings there. The F/8.3 is going to hit the 120mm F/5 for six on planets, I bet

Hoping so Michael. :) 

17 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

You've done a good job on that lens, looks brand new!

Yeah, came up better than I thought it would too! Thanks! :) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Putaendo Patrick said:

Congratulations! In my opinion (for what it's worth) these are very nice telescopes - at least, I have a lot of fun with mine!

Thanks. I'm hoping I do too. The front end of the scope is very heavy, so need to take extra care when moving this one around. :) 

Still waiting for a nice clear night to test the Omni out fully, but one good thing I've found out is that the Brightstar filter wheel I bought from a member on here a few months ago which doesn't work on any of my other scopes because they can't reach enough outward focus is that it does reach focus (with plenty to spare) on the Omni 120mm, so very happy about that. Was going to put the filter wheel up for sale again, but now don't have to as I can actually use it now! :) 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MarsG76
      Hi All,
      If anyone is looking for a great telescope, I'm selling my NexStar 8SE. It's in great condition, Optics are immaculate and there is only some signs of use on the dovetail bar and the black rim that has faded a bit on one side. The reason that I'm selling is that I'm looking to upgrade.
      I had some amazing views of planets and DSO through this scope.... it really is a performer in quite a compact package.
      This scope was on a CGEM most of it life so the NexStar Alt-Az mount was hardly used.
      I prefer to have this scope local pickup or I'm happy to deliver and even give a tutorial and demonstration of how to use it.. for that reason I'm targeting a buyer around Sydney Australia.
      The price I'm asking is $1650AUD.

Clear Skies.

• By devdusty
      Further to my post about the Skywatcher flexible 130 p, I am now looking at a short focus tefractor. I am 70 years old so can only manage to carry a fairly lightweight telescope into my back garden.
      I am interested in viewing the moon, double stars,  bright planets and the brighter star clusters.
      I am looking to purchase one of the following
      Celestron  travel scope 70
      Bresse r Classic 70/350
      Skywatcher mercury 705 70mms.
      I understand that these telescopes have limitations, but they the only ones in my price range.
      Any comments or advice would be welcome.
      Chris P
    • By Fraunhoffer
      lets imagine I wasn't to see a nice DSO about 15' size and I think it should look good nicely framed with a 1 deg field of view in the EP..
      Which would give the better (or higher probability of seeing anything at all ) view from a semi urban light polluted home site (e.g Bortle 6)?
      a) an 100mm f/6 refractor (fl 600mm) and a 10mm EP (60 deg afov, gain 60x = fov pf 1 deg)
      (and exit pupil of 100mm / 60 = 1.6mm)
      or
      b) a  200mm SCT with focal reducer to give f/6 (fl 1200mm) and a 20mm EP (60 deg afov, gain 60x = fov of 1 deg)
      (and exit pupil of 200 / 60 = 3.3mm)
      My gut feeling is that the SCT should give a better view just based upon its 2xaperture - but Im not sure I understand fully the maths why.
      Is the larger exit pupil going to result in a better / brighter / more successful view?
      Or will the view be 'roughly' the same ?
      Or have I got it all wrong.....

Thanks.
    • By NenoVento
      Hi all,

After updating my legacy HC to the 99.22 (I had to, because of the GPS rollover issue) and the MC to the 5.23 firmwares (siply because it was there, and I've got greedy), both acquired via Teamcelestron, my CPC was operating normally until, all of the sudden, its altitude motor stopped working. I've uploaded a video at youtube showing what happens:

https://youtu.be/p2cHJkPt9Vc

As you can see, I don't get any error message in my HC but, if I try to move the scope in altitude, nothing happens (no movement, no motor noises, nothing). When I release the clutch and move the scope manually in altitude, it does move but has a weird noise by the same place where previously it used to make a snap one, which I already reported to celestron tech support once, and even made a video that I also uploaded to youtube:

https://youtu.be/KCc69eUSbeY

I've already seeked help from Celestron Tech support (and the folks at Cloudy Nights) but any help from you would be very much appreciated. Best regards,

NV
    • By HenryFitz
      Help me understand how this equatorial mount CGE pro own a price tag of 5000 usd? As a beginner; will it be a smart choice for me? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.