Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Celestron XLT 'frac

Picked up my new addition to my expanding family of 'fracs on Monday, but only got a chance for a very brief test out last night at a hazy moon. The Celstron Omni XLT 120mm f8.3 is in very nice condition (thanks Allan! :) ), which just needed the optics cleaning with a wee clean with some Baader cleaning fluid and cloth. The results which can be seen in the pics below came out extremely well. A brief glimpse of the moon gave a very pleasing image through the EP. Didn't a get chance to view anything else except one or two bright stars as the seeing was so poor, with haze and mist around, but hoping for a better night soon to have a crack at some double stars, DSO's and planets of course. Only issue I had was with the focuser which slipped quite easily with my 2" diagonal in and Morpheus 14mm EP. A quick strip down of the mechanism soon sorted that issue out relatively easily. Going to compare this mainly with my ST120 f5 'frac mainly and see which give the best results. I'll post results up as and when I get the chance. :)

IMG_1953.JPG

IMG_1956.JPG

IMG_1954.JPG

IMG_1955.JPG

PS. Oh, and Allan very generously gave me another 'frac for free too, so when I get round to checking that one out I'll let you know too. Cheers Allan! :) 

10 minutes ago, Putaendo Patrick said:

Congratulations! In my opinion (for what it's worth) these are very nice telescopes - at least, I have a lot of fun with mine!

Thanks. I'm hoping I do too. The front end of the scope is very heavy, so need to take extra care when moving this one around. :) 

Still waiting for a nice clear night to test the Omni out fully, but one good thing I've found out is that the Brightstar filter wheel I bought from a member on here a few months ago which doesn't work on any of my other scopes because they can't reach enough outward focus is that it does reach focus (with plenty to spare) on the Omni 120mm, so very happy about that. Was going to put the filter wheel up for sale again, but now don't have to as I can actually use it now! :) 

Archived