SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My first Ring Nebula - M57

blinky

Took this last night, it was taken with the 350d @ ISO 800. Composed of 40second and 1 minute exposures. I also took 5 40 second and 5 60second darks.

I am a bit dissapointed in the lack of red, as in the individual images I can see more red than in the final one!

I have included 2 images one is a closeup and the other a wider one. If anybody wants to have a go with the original stacked FIT file they are most welcome!

As always any hints/tips comments/criticisms most welcome as I know I have a long way to go in this imaging malarky :D

7522_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

7523_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Sometimes, it pays to be very ruthless with images that fall short of the best of your particular bunch and this may explain why the finished image is degraded from the best of the individual frames.

Lack of red will always be an issue with a standard DSLR that still has its manufacturer supplied IR filter in place.

Your wide-field version looks very nice to me.

Like the wide one Craig.

I notice some sharpening artifacts on the first one...dark rings around the stars.

I assume you used 'unsharp mask' in Photoshop.

If this is the case, to lose the rings, this is what you do....

Sharpen your image.

Immediately afterwards, before doing anything else at all, go to....

EDIT-FADE-FADE UNSHARP MASK.

Set the blend mode to LIGHTEN

This will sharpen your image but not leave any artifacts.

Cheers

Rob

Archived