SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New member saying hello

kitten

Hi people my name is Linda i have been looking at the stars for a couple of years but never had the time to take it seriously till now.

I found this forum whilst searching online for info on what telescope would be best for me.

I shall most likely need lots of help also have a lot of questions for everyone.

Happy stargazing.

Welcome.

It's always a pleasure to say hello to new members but I seem to end up writing the same thing - have fun. That's why you're starting out on this trip, after all. Even if it gets frustrating, enjoy what you're doing. It can be very rewarding. ???

Hello Linda, welcome to the SGL.

There's no end of help here, you just gotta ask, and when you do, sit back learn, have fun, whatever and in no time at all, you`ll be giving advice to folk  joining behind you, and on some of the more difficult questions? just see how serious we can get, but all part of the fun and banter, not only that, were still learning all the time.

For the nights ahead when the Stars are not visible, and until you have some equipment,  why not check this  Planetarium out. Its something that many of us use, and advise you use for planning, studying, and when you can't go outside?

Its called Stellarium, totaly FREE, go get it here...............http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/

Hi Linda and welcome to the forum. There is no such thing as a daft question so please don't hesitate to ask them as the need arises by posting under the relevant section.

Making a commitment to buy a scope can be a bit daunting, especially with all the jargon and specifications that you might read about, so the first decision that can help narrow down this potential overload is having some idea what your budget might be. Different scope for different folks is certainly true, given that many of us get into astronomy for different reasons such as to observe or to take images etc. To that end, there is not one scope that will do everything (....though some come close) and explains why many of us here have more than one scope. You don't have to spend a fortune to enjoy the night sky but it is true that some makes and models are more desirable than others which in turn can yield better resale values should you decide later on that astronomy is not for you (.....unlikely! :icon_biggrin:). The best recommendation I can make is for you to go along to a public viewing event, typically organised by your local astronomy group, to take a look through some of their telescopes in order to get some idea of what you are going to see and therefore how best to spend your money. There will be little scopes and giant scopes, some manual in operation others with strange noises and lights but I'm confident that you will discover one or two that can show you what you're after. Many of us live in areas where light pollution can be a problem and this might require some of us to travel to areas where the sky is darker to get the most out our kit. So transportation and setting up and cooling down times might be another factor in deciding which scope best suits your needs. Lastly, don't forget to make a note of the eyepieces that you are looking through too as some of them can make quite a difference to view that you see.

So in short, take your time and ask plenty of questions as there is plenty of help available over on the equipment sections to guide you through the information and don't forget that there is the search facility (top right corner of your screen) that will help you access past questions and answers too. Given the number of new discoveries that are being made that change what we think we know about our universe - we are all beginners really so you're in good company here.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

You will get told every option of scope there is. We all like our own choices and so you get told the get the same as we have.

From me I suggest a ES or Bresser 102mm refractor. Decent size, easy to use (point and look almost). Mount is the question. Do you envisage a manual mount or a computerised one? Be aware that a computerised mount is not automatic, you have to do things and know a bit at least. I think people see "computer" and the presumption is that it does it all.

So if manual then maybe the ES Twilight mount that sort of sits along side the ES 102 scopes.

Manual means you have to decide what you want to look at and have an idea where they are then point the scope at whatever, if it not there then you ahve not got the pointing right. Great fun or infuriating.

Archived