Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Perseus 6 Panel Hybrid Mosaic Ngc 1499 to M45

PatrickGilliland

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

That's a remarkable image, I've been viewing it for an nearly an hour taking in the details, I believe I could do another hour!

Thanks John, glad you enjoyed.  Was a little nervous on release as a lot of effort went in but all the kind feedback will send me to bed happy.  Cheers Paddy

Very nice work and great persistence, makes a great map. Rarely see these two DSOs together except in lens shot, they fit together nicely in frame at 50mm. Such a busy area of sky, lots of dust in that region. Interesting to compare your image with the SFD dust map on World Wide Telescope.

Just my personal preference but I find the blue of the Pleiades a bit on the strong side.

1 hour ago, astro mick said:

So good, exellent image, and such dedication.

Mick.

Thanks Mick was fun to tackle something way outside my normal one frame.  Appreciate feedback.  Paddy

52 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Very nice work and great persistence, makes a great map. Rarely see these two DSOs together except in lens shot, they fit together nicely in frame at 50mm. Such a busy area of sky, lots of dust in that region. Interesting to compare your image with the SFD dust map on World Wide Telescope.

Just my personal preference but I find the blue of the Pleiades a bit on the strong side.

I know what you mean about the blue in the smaller versions it is pretty intense - I have printed and looks quite balanced at A3 though.  Added a copy to the header with less blue for on-screen presentations though think it is all a matter of scale. (Copy here in the header)

Feedback appreciated, Paddy

Oh yessss... This is my kind of imaging. Tom's as well. We can't take on the Hubble, as amateurs, but we can try do go wider and deeper and that's what you've done here. It's a glory. Very well done and get it into the best magazines.

Olly

5 hours ago, simmo39 said:

What a stunning image.

Thanks Simmo

4 hours ago, wimvb said:

A masterpiece. Congratulations! Now I just wonder which astronomy magazine will be the first to publish this. Should be a centerfold.

Thanks for sharing

Thanks Wim, let's see who fancies it.  I am just glad my peers are appreciative but lot of work so more exposure the better.

3 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Well done Paddy with this excellent mosaic of such a detailed and astronomically interesting and diverse area.  Just shows how much data can be gathered with a remote setup making better use of all that investment!

Top drawer :icon_salut:.

Thanks Barry, was a pleasure to do something a little extra and more involved.  The more I spend the more true remote is the only option.  ASA 12n and 16803 sitting in garage with some hope of seeing a photon just now.  But there is still something special about your own data, a quandry I think I will resolve with remote and local set ups :)

36 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Oh yessss... This is my kind of imaging. Tom's as well. We can't take on the Hubble, as amateurs, but we can try do go wider and deeper and that's what you've done here. It's a glory. Very well done and get it into the best magazines.

Olly

Thanks very much Olly - your Orion mosaic was the inspiration behind this, and the reason I have been patient to get it right as well.  I could not agree more on 'this kind of imaging', I do love my longer focal length images but this wider field approach is something all we amateurs can engage in and outdo the 'professional' scopes.  Under any skies its a challenge; but a year (or even two if required) of planning with the wide field rig and all key subjects  shot on FSQ or RH allows us to own this area of the imaging arena.  You get to process all the local targets over the year and then knit it all together with the wide data.  All the while producing something the big boys can't address.  Will work on the magazine side but hopefully it will get the right level of exposure.  Be interesting to see how this widefield stands up to printing at A3 looks good but be interesting to see what size the hybrid approach allows whilst retaining details  Thanks for comments.

34 minutes ago, laser_jock99 said:

Supreme effort- thanks for sharing!

Thanks very much.  Feels like it was worth the effort.

Thanks all - Paddy 

23 hours ago, Tom OD said:

Super work Patrick. Excellent result, and worth the effort, and time invested.

Tom.

Thanks Tom, appreciate comments.  After waiting so long feeling in a post processing anti-climax now.  Nothing that grand in the pipeline for a while now :( 

12 hours ago, coatesg said:

Truly excellent image Paddy, labour of love, but what a result!

Thanks Graeme - appreciate the feedback and glad its been so well received.

Thanks all

Paddy

That is a truly remarkable image!  You've taken on a huge project and executed it really well.  You chose a very interesting area of sky to image and I love the contrast between the blue of the Pleiades and the red of the California Nebula.  138 hours of data - the mind boggles.  Processing that lot was a major feat.

Really well done.

Mark

22 hours ago, sharkmelley said:

That is a truly remarkable image!  You've taken on a huge project and executed it really well.  You chose a very interesting area of sky to image and I love the contrast between the blue of the Pleiades and the red of the California Nebula.  138 hours of data - the mind boggles.  Processing that lot was a major feat.

Really well done.

Mark

Thanks Mark, I too liked the contrast across the image and the varied collection of objects.  The processing was not too bad to be honest.  Each sub target processed as the data became available over the last year.  Never done a serious mosaic before but with MBC it all came together a lot quicker than I anticipated.  My part was then just about blending various elements into a nice image.

Mind you at 193mb image size it was a little painful at times waiting for the PC to catch up :) 

Appreciate the comments.

Paddy

Archived