Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Wettest Wales...

Psychobilly

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Steff - love your sketching - unfortunately no talent in the "manual" art dept so I rely on technology for my images.

Geoff... I'll have to think about your generous offer but I suspect you already know the answer...

I think the total cost from breaking ground, the substantial foundations, pier/wedge manufacture and then the observatory is around £1,000 not bad for a 2.4m setup...oh and about 10 solid days labour over a a period of a few months.

Got all the bits that get left to do now... I am thinking of fitting the "cavity" with ally covered insulating foam and then covering the inside with thin ply.

Then painting and decorating... on that point whats the best colour for the walls inside an observatory?

The brilliant white outside kept the inside really cool on the only "hot" days this summer. I am wondering if insulation is the way to go or am I better off uninsulated to let the obs cool and get to ambient quicker?

Billy...

Geoff... I'll have to think about your generous offer but I suspect you already know the answer...

Billy...

Worth a try Billy. Nice Observatory anyway.

Geoff

As the saying goes...

If you don't ask you don't get...

But would i do it again... build everything from scratch.... maybe...

Compound mitres on a 12 sided design were fun though...NOT :hello2:

Had all the roof joist and the segments of the wall and dome rings laser cut from 18mm WPB Ply and the Pier/wedge laser cut and fabricated for a very good price including the materials - FREE :clouds1:

Billy...

Well Billy, you made a very nice job of assembling it and its a credit to you. If I had a decent bit of suitable space in my garden, I would build one myself, but to view different areas of the sky, I have to move my scope to suit the position I need to observe. My biggest headache is the guy whose garden backs on to mine. He has a 70ft Conker tree, just on his side of the fence, which blocks out most of my south east view. I have trimmed quite a bit that overhangs my side, but it doesn't make much difference as the bulk of the tree is too high. I have even hinted that he remove it, but he is proud of the fact that he planted the conker as a little boy in 1954, when his mum & dad owned the house. He inherited the property and has lived there all his life. So I am stuck with it, like it or not!

Geoff

Archived