SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Wettest Wales...

Psychobilly

Hi my names Peter Smith

I live in Glais which is a village about 7 miles from Swansea in South Wales

I have just recently finished my DIY observatory and am interested in using Nikon DSLR's for Astroimaging...

Some of you will know me form another place...

I have a CPC800XLT which i mount on a pier in the observatory , I also have a Skywatcher Equinoxe-66 Pro with a william Optics Field Flattner III and Hutech IDAS Filter fitted to the 8" with guiderings. I am currently into widefield imaging using a D200 on the "66" whilst autoguiding using a DSI II C on the 8"... I have always been a bit backward when it comes to things like that... :D

I also appologies in advance for the many typos that you will see in my posts as due to circumstances beyond my control the left hand lags behind the right somewhat when typing :crybaby:

Billy...

Just thought i'd add a quick pic of the setup...

Readyforfirstlight.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Psychobilly ... comes from a time long ago...when our cad system required 3 initials to "authorise" drawings so the boss added an extra B making PBS... I have some wierd tastes in music and PsychoBillySkank ( which stuck from the PBS) is a somewhat strange musical genre...at the same time i was an outdoor pursuits instructor - caving, climbing etc and was regarded as a bit of a "psycho" with some of my adventure sporting activities..

I liked it some much I had V6 PBS as my personal plate ...

I also post as Psychobilly on another "popular" magazines forum having made some 1800 posts since December 28th 2007...i'll try and not be so prolific on here :oops:

Hi Peter, and a warm welcome to SGL.

We have met before, albeit quite some time ago, when I used to frequent the other forum (under a different user name), albeit I left when it hit a very silly period back in early 2007.

I do however, 'pop over' sometimes to see what's happening over there, as a such, I followed your obsy build with great interest, and I have to say that you made an excellent job of it, well done!!.

BTW, I once told you that my younger brother has a holiday cottage in Glais, and is still the case.

Dave

Thanks again peeps...

Hello again Dave... why anyone would want a holiday cottage in Glais :D the village has certainly changed from when I was a lad....fortunately i'm in a position where no one can build in front or behind us...

Let me know if ever you visit...

Billy...

But within striking distance of some amazing coastline and in the other direction some pretty nice mountains as well...which I have crawled and wriggled under and through in my time...

Steppenwolf ... a change is as good as a rest and from what I have seen so far I think you might be right.....

I'm lookign forward to some sensisble advice and critique on imaging on here...I like the way the forum has been subdivided down into narrower areas of interest...I know where i'll be spending most of my time on wet and dreary nights now...

Billy...

its started out as just a pier...

http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/tm.asp?m=63209

Then we went to the welders...

http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/tm.asp?m=64865

Then decided to cover it up...

http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/tm.asp?m=70142

and was ready for first light...

http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/tm.asp?m=71346&mpage=1&key=observatory?

needed some tweaks....

and now is working quite nicely...

All that lot should help with the rain induced insomnia... :D

Peter,

Thanks for posting the links.

I am very impressed with the range of skills you brought to bear in the construction. Would not have thought of plastic shiplap for cladding - must have a look at some.

Mike

Welcome to SGL Billy/Pete.

You have created a very fine observatory there, and we look forward to your Image posts.

We have some fine imagers on the forums, and you are a welcome addition.

Ron. :D

Archived