SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Intersting thing about daylight.

ollypenrice

I heard an interesting account about the phenomenon of jetlag yesterday. Some friends, both doctors, know an absolutely blind person who is very talented in his field. While he is in international demand he has, it seems, found that he cannot sucessfully recover from jetlag. Having no light-based information about local day or night his body clock does not reset itself well enough for him to function normally. He does travel internationally but only along lines running more or less north and south.

I continue to believe that destroying night and day by whatever means (obviously I'm thinking about LP) cannot be a good thing for us.

Olly

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I heard an interesting account about the phenomenon of jetlag yesterday. Some friends, both doctors, know an absolutely blind person who is very talented in his field. While he is in international demand he has, it seems, found that he cannot sucessfully recover from jetlag. Having no light-based information about local day or night his body clock does not reset itself well enough for him to function normally. He does travel internationally but only along lines running more or less north and south.

I continue to believe that destroying night and day by whatever means (obviously I'm thinking about LP) cannot be a good thing for us.

Olly

Add to that artificial light in the home, not to mention tv, pc screens and mobile devices!

Louise

2 hours ago, wxsatuser said:

He does'nt have to see light to be affected by jetlag.

We all have circadian rhythms and external cues influence these clocks.

The cues can be light, temperature, eating, social interactions, etc

No indeed, but it seems that being aware of daylight may be one of the body's means of coping with it and adjusting to it.

I found myself wondering whether some kind of concerted effort to provide him with information about local time might not be devised. I note your mention of social interactions as possible one.

Olly

Did you hear about the recent BBC episode of Planet Earth II  Olly?

In it they clearly showed how light pollution from the cities is responsible for the death of hatchling sea turtles. 

And that is just one species. They also commented that the LP phenomena is a recent thing, the last 40 years.

10 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

Add to that artificial light in the home, not to mention tv, pc screens and mobile devices!

Louise

Yes, blue light from bright screens inhibits melatonin production, a sleep-inducing hormone. Some manufacturers are wising up a bit with warmer-hued night modes, and you can get software to automatically change the colour temperature after sunset. These things help but bright screens and lighting later in the evening aren't great.

The effects of changing the natural length of the day/night cycle have been known for many years. I quote from my university Physiology text book of more than 30 years ago.

" An important environmental clue to seasonal change, and the timing of reproduction is the change of the length of the day-night light cycle. Many mammals and birds come into breeding condition in response to a lengthening day light period and the associated shortening of the dark period. "

These effects have been known for many years. An example is the keeping of hens under " constant daylight " to prolong laying through the winter months.

Much research into the effect of light on the Pineal gland and its effect on the hypothalamus has shown the negative effects of artificial light on birds and animals, including humans.

36 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I flew from London to San Francisco in daylight and suffered no jetlag and wondered what all the fuss was about. I returned a week later overnight and ended up feeling as though I had manflu for a week.  :icon_biggrin:

I always found that it was much easier to cope with the time zone change going from London to San Francisco rather than the other way around.

The worst time of all was when I had to go to somewhere just outside Chicago just for a half-day meeting though.  My boss and I flew out from Heathrow to Chicago arriving late afternoon, drove to the hotel about 100 miles away, did the meeting the following morning and then drove back to Chicago, getting on the return flight with the same flight crew as we'd flown out with, straight back to Heathrow.  That really messed my body up.

James

1 hour ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Yes, blue light from bright screens inhibits melatonin production, a sleep-inducing hormone. Some manufacturers are wising up a bit with warmer-hued night modes, and you can get software to automatically change the colour temperature after sunset. These things help but bright screens and lighting later in the evening aren't great.

The iPhone has an inbuilt setting that changes the screen colours (removing blue) between certain hours. I have mine set from 10pm to 7am. The resulting screen is distinctly Sepia looking :)

Not sure if its made any difference to me though - I can still sleep anywhere at anytime except planes) :D

I don;t suffer with jetlag flying East to West. But boy the other way screws me up. 

I went to China for 4 days (including flights), I managed just under 10 hours sleep during that period (as I cannot sleep on planes), boy did that muck me up for a few days. I was almost the start of a Zombie Apocalypse. :D

13 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Olly

Has he tried melatonin tablets?

2 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

I'm amazed no-one has yet produced a low-blue app for the iPhone. My wife to uses hers and illuminates the whole bedroom with the damn thing every time she wakes up early. I'm sure we would both benefit.

31 minutes ago, Ant said:

The iPhone has an inbuilt setting that changes the screen colours (removing blue) between certain hours. I have mine set from 10pm to 7am. The resulting screen is distinctly Sepia looking :)

Not sure if its made any difference to me though - I can still sleep anywhere at anytime except planes) :D

See above - I am SO grateful to find that out!

16 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

See above - I am SO grateful to find that out!

:D

Its in SETTINGS > DISPLAY AND BRIGHTNESS > NIGHT SHIFT. You have a slider to make the screen "less warm" or "more warm". 

Cheers

Ant

It appears to be hardware limited, so even though you can install and Run OS9.3 the feature may not be there if you do not have the retina display or run a 32Bit Ipad. 

Apologies for the black on white text - now fixed :) 

Ant

DETAILS BELOW.

iOS 9.3’s release represents a fairly significant improvement to the iOS platform. Rather than acting as an evolutionary update that focuses on performance and security enhancements, iOS 9.3 actually introduces a number of new features that take the iOS experience up a gear. One of those features is Night Shift – a feature that shifts the colors of the Retina display to the warmer end of the spectrum based on time and location. But exactly which devices support this new feature?

Those investigating the new inclusions within iOS 9.3 will automatically assume that everything added will be compatible with any iOS device capable of supporting iOS 9. In under normal circumstances that would largely be true, but we have seen Apple introduce functionality in the past that excludes older hardware even though the device is deemed as “compatible” with the firmware. This is one of those instances, with Apple’s new Night Shift feature discriminating against the company’s older, 32-bit CPU-powered devices.

Sixth-generation iPod touch
iPhone 5s
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone SE
iPad Air
iPad Air 2
iPad mini 2
iPad mini 3
iPad mini 4
12.9-inch iPad Pro
9.7-inch iPad Pro
That means if you’re an owner of the iPhone 4s, fifth-generation iPod touch, iPhone 5, or one of Apple’s brightly colored iPhone 5c handsets then you won’t be able to take advantage of Night Shift. Those with the original iPad mini or an iPad 2/3/4 are also excluded due to Apple deeming that the hardware simply isn’t capable of handling the feature whilst maintaining important performance parameters.

The Lenovo tablet i just bought has a night mode (apart from the on/off switch). It dims the display to a more relaxed tone so you are not bombarding your eyes and brain with too much artificial light just before bed time. Never seen that before on any computer system or electronics. At least not in the way this one works. It has nothing to do with manual setting for screen brightness etc. Its purely there as a therapeutic measure to make it easier to sleep soon after using the tablet.

Im on the latest 10.1.whatever 3? Thebluetooth stack was improved in that version which means i can connect to the honda crv again.  Wooo hooo.  Apart from whenanother is nearbybecause its called my-car.    Grrrrrr

Archived