Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

eyepiece upgrade

domstar

Wow. I've just replaced my Huygens 20mm and 4mm eyepieces with a couple of cheap plossls-25mm and 10mm. To say it's an improvement would be an understatement. Can't think of a situation where I might use the old ones again.

Anyway, I'm so excited I just had to tell someone. Apologies if I've posted in the wrong place.Thanks for reading.

Welcome to the SGL, What type of scope do you have?
I discovered the Revelation  Astro Plössls to be very effective for my eyes on my f/6 scope. The cheapest was about £9  GBP the others,  brand new are less than £30 GBP
For a wider field of view, I invested in the  BST Starguiders, the 8mm my  first upgrade, to replace the supplied Skywatcher 10mm!

I was also super impressed by the 40mm plossl I bought - lovely wide views and super clear too.  the 'stock' eyepieces that came with the scope received only a little attention after that....  It's a bit like the amazing transformation your DSLR gets when you pop a decent lens on it...

9 hours ago, domstar said:

Thanks. It's a Bresser  70/700. Not much but enough to keep me going for a while yet. Roll on next clear night.

Absolutely, make the most of what you have.

I asked the type because I wanted to know the focal ratio?
Its f/10 (700/70=10)

The  12mm Starguider I own (or equivalent brand- there are several)  would sit comfortably in a scope like yours providing an even  wider field of  view over your newer Plössls, you may even  wonder why you use a Plössl?
Plössls have their place, I'm not knocking them, I too  have a set,  but for value sake, the ED eyepieces offer wider views with their 60°afov and reasonable eye relief, making the  user experience more comfortable.

Glad you are happy with the upgrade. Plossls served me very well for many years. I got my kids a few cheap Plossls for their scope and they are amazing for the price. They are indeed way better than the Huygens or symmetric Ramsden EPs supplied with some scopes. Fortunately, many scopes are now supplied with better EPs

19 hours ago, Mak the Night said:

All you need now is something like this and you'll have four new eyepieces! :icon_biggrin:

A good tip. That'll probably be my next thing but if I bought everything I wanted straight away, where would be the fun?:happy11:

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 21:31, domstar said:

Wow. I've just replaced my Huygens 20mm and 4mm eyepieces with a couple of cheap plossls-25mm and 10mm. To say it's an improvement would be an understatement. Can't think of a situation where I might use the old ones again.

Anyway, I'm so excited I just had to tell someone. Apologies if I've posted in the wrong place.Thanks for reading.

A great start, exactly what I did (although went for a 12mm rather than a 10mm). Also got a 32mm which I am still very fond of in my big scope. The difference in quality is immediately noticeable isn't it.

If you like plossls, then consider an ortho as a future purchase (yes, here I go again). these are around £55 new but can be picked up for around £35 or so. The field of view and eye relief are similar to a plossl but the contrast and quality are a step up again. When I now look at objects such as the Orion Nebula with my 10mm Baader Classic Ortho the level of contrast between the light and dark areas is superb and gives the gaseous cloud areas a real 3D 'pop out' feel. Sure, it barely fits in the field of view and there is a lot of nudging required but it's worth it. And when I use it on planets when the seeing is good...I could write for hours!

There is a Baader Classic Ortho 6mm knocking around in the user ads on here for £35. Had I not just made myself broke before Christmas I would have it in a flash. I definitely recommend giving this a look if you're considering some higher power planetary observing and have the spare cash during or after the festive period

Archived