Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Child friendly astronomy book

rory

Looking for any recommendations for a stargazing / moon  book suitable for youngsters.(7&8)

It will be a gift to go along with a small telescope ( probably a sw heritage 76) 

Turn left is an option , but any other recommendations greatly appreciated. 

Clear skies 

Being an adult i cant say ive looked at astronomy books for kids. Turn Left At Orion is about the only one i can think of that is really child friendly/usable. I think though that if a kid has a strong interest in astronomy that they could pretty much handle most books us "oldies" use. I find "Astronomy" By Ian Ridpath a great book for all levels of astronomy. It has chapters about the history of astronomy right up to blackholes and astrophysics etc. Theres something for every level in the book.

Do you want a book of star charts etc or just light reading for a child to get their head around many astro related topics?.

Backyard astronomer (IIRC) is a very popular choice of book for anyone of any age.

A book by Bill Bryson called "A Short History Of Nearly Everything", is a really good,funny read and explains a LOT in "simple terms" about the universe. I must reread that one myself.

I use The Monthly Sky Guide by Ridpath and Tirion as my main book. The layout suits me better then other options. I actually doubt there is "one" ideal book, unless you get into the expensive and big area. The Monthly Sky Guide has 2 moon maps at the front but if I recall it is not treated as an observing object in the way that other DSO objects are.

These days - and if they have one - you may be as well advised to consider the basic version of SkySafari 5 for their smartphones.

I find a book better for planning what to eventually look at as you sit inside with a sheet of paper and scribble down a few objects, then head off out to observe them. However when outside the app is useful for when you see something unusual/interesting/unexpected.

Very much a case of use what is suitable and the best at the time.

The Dorking Kindersley book The Night Sky Month By Month is an excellent large format publication.  It starts with a general intro to the sky, the Earth within it, and telescopes.  There follow month-by-month charts of the night sky (based mainly on constellations) plus info about planets and key objects of interest.  

It's very well presented and bursts with coloured illustrations.

My edition has an almanac of events up to 2019, but the main contents remain valid any time of course.

There is also a glossary.

I reckon it's pitched just right for an interested child, with perhaps a little adult guidance!

Doug.

P1050335.JPG

P1050336.JPG

P1050337.JPG

P1050338.JPG

P1050339.JPG

Dorking Kindersley publish several astronomy books aimed at juvenile readers including:

The Planets, the definitive visual guide to our Solar System

Jacqueline Mitton - Moon, in the Eyewitness series

William Gater and Giles Sparrow's The Night Sky Month by Month

Ian Ridpath - Astronomy (excellent Constellation maps - don't know if it's been updated though, my copy has major events like eclipses from 2006 to 2016).

https://www.dk.com/uk/space-and-astronomy/

As a stocking filler how about a 2017 Collins Guide to the Night Sky? Only a fiver and gives month by months details to keep interest going.   It might be a little dull though.  The big book recommended by cloudsweeper (above) looks like it might hold and 8yo's attention a bit longer with more interesting pics and diagrams.

I can't get my children interested at all!  They looked at a few stars and were totally unimpressed ("Dad, they all look the same").  Mostly they were impressed by the moon and a view of Jupiter.  I wonder if a general book on planets might be of some interest?

Archived