Narrowband

MK2 chart light

mapstar

Being a traditionalist star hopper my star chart is my bible so wanted a good light to pour over it in the field.

With the battery failure of the first chart light :undecided: I went for a complete redesign incorporating my observing table which would have the battery under slung so I could just change it if needs be.

The little milling machine had a work out with some ali left overs and I added a cheap LED dimmer so I could get the light level down to where I wanted it.

Here's the table with the light mounted

20161212_142614.jpg

20161212_142000.jpg

A piccy of the LEDs inside the upper ali box section. A piece of red acrylic keeps it all water/finger proof

20161212_141859.jpg

Dimmer is mounted in the small rear box

20161212_141654.jpg

The wiring runs up the stem so all neatly contained. 

Heres the battery underneath which should run for 70+ hours without charging.

20161212_141937.jpg

Also shows the clamp bracket what the stem fits in through the table top.

All lit up ready for the chart under

20161212_141834.jpg

Just need some clear Sky to use it although it worked well on the recent dob mob outing :grin:

Oooooh..... now that's started an idea in the old brainbox dept!

I found an old adjustable projector table some time ago which sits perfectly in the corner of the observatory, and have been using that as my general "map table". Maybe now is the time to "upgrade" from handheld red light torch to look at the maps with, to a more permanent LED light ala mapstar !!

Cheers for the piccys and design inspiration.

Les

5 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

Oooooh..... now that's started an idea in the old brainbox dept!

I found an old adjustable projector table some time ago which sits perfectly in the corner of the observatory, and have been using that as my general "map table". Maybe now is the time to "upgrade" from handheld red light torch to look at the maps with, to a more permanent LED light ala mapstar !!

Cheers for the piccys and design inspiration.

Les

Glad to inspire.

As I had all the bits already I think the whole thing would cost a fiver to make excluding the battery. 

No problems 1800mAh Les.

I think the battery and charger cost around £9 but make sure you get one with a cosher uk plug type charger as the ones with adapters are poor.

If not a 12vdc psu/charger will do for an obsy. 

On 12 December 2016 at 14:36, mapstar said:

Being a traditionalist star hopper my star chart is my bible so wanted a good light to pour over it in the field.

With the battery failure of the first chart light :undecided: I went for a complete redesign incorporating my observing table which would have the battery under slung so I could just change it if needs be.

The little milling machine had a work out with some ali left overs and I added a cheap LED dimmer so I could get the light level down to where I wanted it.

Here's the table with the light mounted

20161212_142614.jpg

20161212_142000.jpg

A piccy of the LEDs inside the upper ali box section. A piece of red acrylic keeps it all water/finger proof

20161212_141859.jpg

Dimmer is mounted in the small rear box

20161212_141654.jpg

The wiring runs up the stem so all neatly contained. 

Make a good beer/whiskey/coffee/chocolate table delete as appropriate 

when it's cloudy ?

Archived