SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What's the point in amateur astronomy?

popeye85

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats the point in running?  You'll never beat Mo Farah.  Whats the point in cycling?  You'll never beat Mark Cavendish.  What the point in playing guitar, piano?  You get my drift

We don't do things to be the "best". we do them because we as individuals find these activities stimulating and enjoyable, not that we personally are going to make a huge mark in the field.

The point is the same as anything. I'm a keyboard player - love it, never going to be famous and cover things others have covered. Just like astronomy, I look at what others have looked at. Doesn't make it any less enjoyable!

Seeing directly something that interests you time and time again is such a delight.  Then perhaps learning about objects, and how best to view them adds to the experience.  Getting a cluster in the eyepiece is much more than going online to see an image.  It's like (for example) birdwatching - there are thousands of fabulous photos, but seeing a bird for yourself transcends looking at photos.

And of course, taking your own photos of galaxies or birds or whatever can be highly rewarding.  (If you're into the Dark Side, that is!  :happy11::happy11:)

Doug.

It's being totally mad that keeps me going and I love it :D  Seriously though, images of nebulae and galaxies are really beautiful in my eyes and it's very rewarding to capture and process your own :)  I also enjoy making things to do it with.

Archived