Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What's the point in amateur astronomy?

popeye85

I know a guy (i know of him more than i actually know him), who is a total amateur and who has from his back garden in light polluted North Dublin discovered at least 3 previously unknown SN. I say at least 3 because he had just discovered his 3rd on back in 2010. I'm sure he have found more since then.

Some of you may also know him, or have heard of him: Dave Grennan. Im pretty sure he has been on Sky At Night a couple of times along with other members of Astronomy Ireland.

http://www.astronomy.ie/DG1bio.html

So, whats the point in amateur astronomy?. The same as with professional astronomers.........only with no salary. 

Personally, its always just been part of who i am and what i do.

Plain and simple.

P.S.~I dont mean to "name drop", but the question was asked. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, barkis said:

Many amateurs have discovered new comets, some by accident, others by dedicated observations.
There's still lots amateurs can be involved in. The BAA  have sections that amateurs partake in, for example Solar activity detection, which
indicates the onset of Auroral activity. Meteors, etc.
https://britastro.org/section_front/8

Thanks for pointing this out barkis.

If anyone would like to get an idea of what some BAA members like doing (it's by no means all science, as many of us simply enjoying looking at the beauty of night sky) have a look at a selection of our BAA Members Pages here: https://britastro.org/member_profiles

Jeremy

My main interest in amateur astronomer is (are) the quiet contemplation of the beauty of the heavens.  I also like tinkering with stuff!

A couple of years ago I decided I wanted to do a bit of science as well, so I now have two video cameras recording meteors every night.  I use some clever software to do basic analysis on each meteor recorded and send it off to the NEMETODE meteor network.  

http://www.nemetode.org/

This data then feeds into pro-am studies of meteor streams.

I discover something new every time I roll back the observatory roof :)   So far I've discovered: how far an eyepiece will bounce when dropped, that walking into garden furniture hurts,  you're  not really cold until you need to wear a dew heater, if it's not cloudy yet it will be.  I don't think I've contributed to the body scientific  yet, but I am having fun - I think :)

Jim

For me astronomy is just part of the continuum of inquisition and discovery of the universe above, below and all around me.

A starry sky, bird song, the ebb and flow of the tides. They are all the same stuff. So rather than ask"why amateur astronomy", I'd ask: "why anything?".

My answer would be: "because we can". 

On 12/12/2016 at 14:28, Peter Drew said:

Logically there's no more point in amateur astronomy than there is in, say, mountaineering, gardening or computer games but if either float your boat or tick all your boxes then the interest can be all consuming. The great thing about amateur astronomy is just that, it's not professional. Within reason you can do what you like when you like without the constraints of producing anything of value except enjoyment. For every beginner, each new object viewed is a discovery.   :icon_biggrin:

Would be hard pushed to even call it "within reason". You still have to wait for a cloud free part of sky. Very hit and miss round my part.  Plus the light pollution thing but I do agree on the enjoyment factor.

Ironically I came across a book once which was about stargazing for amateurs. Cant remember the exact title but it had a New Horizons Pluto pic on the front cover. Would be a bit like putting a Bugatti Veyron image on the front cover of The Highway Code.

There's a difference between the title question, 'What's the point in amateur astronomy?' and the post's expanded question about how amateurs can contribute to making new discoveries in astronomy. Both are valid questions, but what would not be valid would to say that amateur astronomy is pointless if it doesn't contribute to new scientific discoveries. I'm not suggesting that the OP is saying that, I'm just pointing out that amateur astronomy might have (does have!) an assortment of motivations entirely unconnected with making discoveries new to humanity. There is nothing wrong with making discoveries that are only new to one's self.

Anyone studying anything is increasing their personal stock of knowledge. Anyone enthusing another person is increasing the world's stock of enthusiasm. Anyone enjoying something is profitably engaged in not hating something.

As for points and purposes, I tend to think they are, when push comes to shove, imaginary. 

Olly

Pointing a telescope at the night sky need no more be an act of scientific endeavor than any other observational activity. That it can be just adds another dimension to the pastime for those who seek it.  I must admit though, I'm more than happy to be truly unscientific when I'm at the telescope; it would otherwise be too much like work.  To be fair though, what I do like is the challenge of confirming something that is already known to "science".  My dabbling with the Star Analyzer grating gave me a real joy when I managed to isolate the Hydrogen Balmer lines in my spectra of Vega; a simple enough task but fun to do personally.  I'd love to be able to observe red or blue shift in a target but I suspect my budget precludes that.  In a similar vein, dokeeffe's post (link below)  on his observational data on an exo planet would be another exciting challenge to emulate.  But all in all the main thing I take from astronomy is just a means of fun, relaxation and something to keep the brain active.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/283060-my-first-exoplanet-observation/#comment-3097733

Jim

Because I like it!

No other reason needed.

Science can go hang. When it is me, my scopes and the stars; i'm a happy relaxed man. I could drink. I could womanise. I could take recreational pharmasuticals. Or, I could explore the universe for free (conveniently forgetting the initial, eye watering, outlay).

NB. If the beer runs out, I may give the last two a try. But, for  the moment, fiscal probity wins the day.

Paul 

Fun.

To go where I have never gone before. To see things I could not see before. And to take pictures without even so much as a footprint.

Otherwise, one can easily sit on ones prat and scour the Internet for the endless views there. The Moon is made of Green Cheese...

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/thefatneilmemorialgroup/images/5/50/Gajeel_moon.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150615152713

I've just come across a wonderfully visual example... consider "occultation astronomy" - I never had until a day or two ago.

An occultation is an event when one object is hidden by another object that passes between it and the observer. If an asteroid is predicted to pass directly in front of a particular star and you are somewhere along the track at the right time with the right kit waiting for it, you may be able to record the precise times at which, from your particular location, the occultation begins and ends. Now consider several such observations from different locations, of which yours is just one - each observer will see things from a slightly different angle and by putting the data together you can get this...

binary asteroid.png

(Source: http://www.occultations.org.nz/videotime/RASNZ_VideoOccManual_V1_2.pdf)

The failed observations may be just as important as the positive ones.

Magic!

Think I posted on the forst page of this but equally I may have thought of but didn't. Stumbeled into this link the other day:

http://www.iau.org/public/themes/citizen-science-projects/

If already within this thred then apologies to whoever put it in earlier.

I simply sort of found it, book marked it for this and have not read anything about it but there may be something that someone may find relevant and may want to have a go at. At a RAS talk it was mentioned that there is zooniverse around, sure that will have been mentioned.

There are and will be projects out there that could appeal to people however I suspect that for the UK based people our lack odd observing time could be the stumbling block. Also the general lack of a dedicated observing location. If both were sort of available then a local observing group could get formed to meet up and do something together, (just a thought, but it might add to the interest and a reason to head out).

There was a project wherein amateur's actively looked for asteroids and helped having them checked for being Earth-Crossing NEO's ( Near Earth Objects). Not sure if it's still running or not.

Other than that, performing 'Community-Outreach' helps young people learn about astronomy and, hopefully, spark an interest in the sciences. Amongst other things.

Better than playing games on computers - in my view,

Dave

Drug-Money for A-P.jpg

On 12/15/2016 at 05:50, ronin said:

Think I posted on the forst page of this but equally I may have thought of but didn't. Stumbeled into this link the other day:

http://www.iau.org/public/themes/citizen-science-projects/

If already within this thred then apologies to whoever put it in earlier.

I simply sort of found it, book marked it for this and have not read anything about it but there may be something that someone may find relevant and may want to have a go at. At a RAS talk it was mentioned that there is zooniverse around, sure that will have been mentioned.

There are and will be projects out there that could appeal to people however I suspect that for the UK based people our lack odd observing time could be the stumbling block. Also the general lack of a dedicated observing location. If both were sort of available then a local observing group could get formed to meet up and do something together, (just a thought, but it might add to the interest and a reason to head out).

It's OK ronin.

At my age, reminders seem to be a good thing.

For example, after last night I have decided to write myself a procedure and put the document in my start up for programs. Including the damn password I forgot last night...

LMAO at Myself. (Turned out too windy to image anyway...)

Another reason I do Amateur Astronomy is, because nobody would ever pay me to do Astronomy. :wink: And that's probably the real bottom line.

• 1 month later...

Well, I enjoy it. Good enough 'point' for me. :)

The converse is "What's the point in professional astronomy"?

Nothing can be changed, everything happened tons of lifetimes ago, the expense to look into this is 'astronomical', and will a Quark reducer really solve teenage acne?

Hopefully, not too splintered in my view.

Rich

FWIW I wondered the same when I was buying my own telescope before Christmas.  I'd love to be able to contribute something to science (the fact that I am a scientist is what drives that need), but I think I need more experience to know what I am looking at first.  I also don't know how a basic telescope like mine could record any useful data - though that Occulation picture of the 54 readings is lovely - done I assume just on some accurate time keeping?  However, I've just contrasted the telescope with why I pick my binoculars up off the windowsill to view the birds in my garden - that doesn't contribute to science I just like seeing them, and so, I assume, can be case with looking at the stars in the sky.  That said we once found a dead bird on our land (which in itself is unusal - where do all the dead birds go?) and it had a ring on its leg.  We managed to find the ring scheme online and sent the ring to the leading university and they sent us back all the information that they knew about the bird and its journey which was rather cool.

If interested and can find/handle the data it seems a load of Keck data hs been released for amateurs to search through for new exo-planets.

All I have is:

Data Set at  http://home.dtm.ciw.edu/ebps/

SW Processing Package at:  http://www.stefanom.org/console-2/

Online Tutorial at  http://oklo.org/

Says it is 61,000 observations of 1,600 nearby stars and the measurement used the Radial Velocity method for detection from the Keck Obs on Hawaii.

Archived