Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p.thumb.jpg.9baae12eeb853c863abc6d2cf3df5968.jpg

1CM69

Jupiter, Orion, Cassiopeia & Ursa Minor

Here's some images I shot yesterday morning at Valley of Rocks in Lynton, North Devon.

All taken just with my tripod mounted dSLR, no tracking.

I did take extra long exposures for the foreground which I intended to add to the images in post but it was so dark that by the time the foreground was exposed enough in camera it was very, very noisy so I left them out. You can make out the silhouette of the rocky hilltops just about though.

All images were taken at ISO800 & were a stack using DSS of 3 frames of 15secs each apart from the Ursa Minor which was 40secs exposures.

30729522624_31dfba35cd.jpg

Jupiter in Virgo by 1CM69, on Flickr

30761275703_3197d620c0.jpg

Cassiopeia by 1CM69, on Flickr

31455114381_9cf7a9bbd9.jpg

Orion & the Winter Triangle by 1CM69, on Flickr

30761321373_93fe14f38e.jpg

Ursa Minor by 1CM69, on Flickr

thanks for looking.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By floastro
      Hi all,
      This is my first shots of Saturn and Jupiter taken the last summer with my new ZWO ASI178MC.
      Equipment :
      -Sky-Watcher Maksutov-Cassegrain Ø150mm /1800mm
      -Sky-Watcher NEQ5 PRO Goto mount
      -ZWO ASI178MC camera
      -ZWO ADC corrector
      -Pierro-Astro electric Focuser Focus v2 controlled by the PC station in ASCOM.
      -Imaging Software : FireCapture
      -Integration Software : Autostakker 3
      -Processing Softwares : PRISM v10 / Registax 6 / PhotoShop CS6 / Lightroom 6
      - Wide Gammut Monitor for processing : NEC SpectraView Reference 272 (27") calibrated with x-Rite i1 Display Pro colorimeter

Saturn :
      Sequence of 11,000 images.
      8,800 added with a sub-exposure of 88ms/image.
      Focal length : 1800mm

Jupiter :
      Sequence of 6,000 images. 4,800 images added.
      The exposure time for each image : 40.7ms.
      Focal length : 1800mm

• By Selborne
      Hi Guys,

I thought I would share with you my first DSO taken with my new Orion 8" Ritchey Chretien F8 Telescope.  The frame is made up of 12 x 4min shots, no light or dark frames, using my Sony A7Rii camera.  The camera had the long exposure noise reduction switched on, which does help to reduce the total number of stars captured by the camera, as the Sony A7Rii does tend to overdo the number of stars captured.  The telescope was mounted on my trusty skywatcher NEQ6 mount and the guiding was via PHD 'of course' via my skywatcher ED50 guide scope.
      The shots were taken from my back garden in Stowmarket, Suffolk where I believe I am a Bortie 4 location, so the skies are mostly dark, with just a little light pollution from the main town, no filters used.
      My normal telescope is a Skywatcher ED100 Pro Esprit F5.5, which is an incredibly sharp scope, but with a wide 550mm field of view, great for capturing the whole of Andromeda but a struggle with smaller images like the Iris Nebula.  I will say the Orion RC scope did need to be collimated out of the box, which was a little disappointing, and it was not just a little out of collimation, it was a long way out, but with the use of a collimating tool, I soon had it dialled in.  
      First impressions of the Orion Ritchey Chretien 8" Telescope are fair, not super impressed, as it is nowhere near as sharp as my ED100 Esprit, but then this is to be expected based on price and telescope type, however, the pictures it has produced are pretty good, if you downscale the full 42MP from the Sony A7Rii camera, as can be seen in this picture.
      I purchased this 8" Orion Ritchey Chretien OTA mainly for Planetary work, but as yet I have not had a chance to 'get onto' a planet, fingers crossed some clear nights will arrive soon, so I can try.

I welcome comments,
      many thanks
      Jamie

• By rorymultistorey
      HI All,

I have an entertaining   video to share with you which is perfect for those just starting out and wanting to taste a bit of astrophotography without spending a lot of money. I image from London and managed to get a pretty good shot of Orion for just £150. This video runs through where I bought the equipment, why I bought  it and how I used it to capture a Orion and some of the trials and tribulations I had to deal with on the way. Any questions please ask!  Enjoy!
      FYI I shot this last year but with Orion now beginning to rise over the rooftops of London I thought this would be a good time to share it.

• By tnt5506
      Can anyone identify this Orion camera and perhaps provide me with a digital copy (or link) for the user guide?  I got this and it has no part number or any unique identifier to help me locate the documentation.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • By rorymultistorey
      Hi Stargazers,
      After a lot of work and help from the great Damian Peach I managed to get some really good images of Jupiter Mars and Saturn despite a total spend of just £100... and I made another bonkers Astrobiscuit video about it which I hope you enjoy. Mr Peach really helped me pick my nights to image and the other big surprise was how good the canon 600D is at planetary. All comments/ advice/ criticisms most welcome...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.