Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

125 Open Star Clusters - list by the Astronomical League

Mark at Beaufort

I have just discovered a nice set of targets produced by the Astronomical League based in the United States. The list contains 125 Open Clusters defined by various astronomers  - King, Berk, Trumpler etc. What is pleasing is that each of the objects can be found in the Uranometria star atlas and the new Instellarum atlas.

So this will give me another set of targets to follow especially as I enjoy open star clusters.

3 hours ago, clarkpm4242 said:

Cassiopeia is well placed this tie of year.  Also a few towards Cepheus and Lacerta.

Paul

I agree  Paul. Looking at the list these are the objects in Cassiopeia.

Berk 58, Berk 59, King 13, Berk 2, King 14, NGC 225, King 16, NGC 581, Tr 1, Cr 463, Cr26, NGC 1027, IC 1848, Cr 34, Tr 3, King 21 and finally King 12,

So seeking out these objects could be a quite a few nights observing

Looking at the overall list of 125 there are a number at or below -30 Dec so might be a bit difficult from the UK to complete the whole list. I can see my 15x70 Apollo Binos going on holiday :happy11:.

You can easily spend a complete lifetime working through all the observing programs produced by the Astronomy League. I have to be honest and say I am mightly impressed with their offerings and that it will also help youngsters and others get into visual observing.

Picking say a short binocular object list and using a 100-150mm scope should mean easy targets and you have a ready made list to follow.

Archived