Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Please sir i've lost my homework...

estwing

After a very nice trip to the Isle of Skye I lost my notes...and just found them!...we only had one proper Dob night but the night we arrived was clear so caught myself a cheeky little bins session. Using 15x70 without a tripod this was my night.

First M31 which in proper dark skies shows massive extent, and did!.Faint dust lanes stood bold against the ink black sky.

Next M33 a bit of a must do with binoculars, yet again a mass of swirling detail on show...a treat!

M45 fills the field of view and its probably the best object for binoculars....Dazzling.

M42 was like a huge bat signal rising over Dunvegan, home of Scotlands oldest inhabited castle..i wonder if Bruce Wayne lives there?. Moving easterly to my next bins fix...

M44 The beehive cluster in Cancer...this always gives me a real buzz...and that's about how good the jokes got from me on Skye, was a long week for some!

Just standing taking in the whole Milky-way from horizon to horizon really is something to behold and not many things in this life we look at that seem magical but the milky-way in dark skies is one of them. Every time I meet Nick he asks when are you going to Skye with them shaving mirrors?. Thanks for planting the seed Nick because without your post and tales from this place I might of not even bothered...clear skies everyone...P.S telescope report later in the week!.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, estwing said:

Just standing taking in the whole Milky-way from horizon to horizon really is something to behold and not many things in this life we look at that seem magical but the milky-way in dark skies is one of them.

Hallelujah! How right you are.

And once seen, never forgotten.

Great post Calvin. I've not witnesses the Milky Way to the same degree but seeing it down to the sea in Dorset and Samos gives me a good flavour of it.

One day I shall get to Skye....one day...

Just to add a few photo's here's the trip:-

The mob on their way up through the snow capped mountains of Scotland (I have to apologise I'm no photographer)

IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

Just a taster of the scenery but as it's a full days job to get there we were eager to push on so the chances to leap out of the car and take photo's were few and far between

Skye next

The next day myself and Calvin walked up to the top of the hill at the rear of the bungalow to take in the views. 

Looking south east to Dunvegan. What a glorious day it was

IMG_0634.JPG

South towards the Cuillin Ridge 

IMG_0633.JPG

And west into Lock Pooltiel

IMG_0638.JPG

Back to the Cuillin ridge a few days later

IMG_0733.JPG

Some great vistas

The walk down to Loch Pooltiel

IMG_0719.JPG

And looking north east towards the Isle of Harris from the bay of Loch Pooltiel 

IMG_0713.JPG

On our way back from the bay a sun halo developed

IMG_0720.JPG

It was then time to set the scope's up for what would be a cracking few hours under horizon to horizon Milkyway views 

By the time we'd got back Steve and Mike had set their Dobs up. Steve realising he'd forgot the primary :eek:

IMG_0639.JPG

Soon all four were set up and ready to delve deep into the inky blackness

IMG_0657.JPG

Another walk revealed some of the local wildlife, a small herd of deer

IMG_0706.JPG

But back to the dob pics :wink:

IMG_0644.JPG

All in a great trip with loads of laughs

Nice little report Calvin and some really nice photos. I always feel that M31 looks better through bins than though larger scopes though mine are 10.5x70, it's not at all bad through the 115mm APO at X23 but for me bins wins. I guess Skye is a bit darker than where I am even though that is very good, it has gone down hill a bit since the new lights in the nearby town that seem to change LP output depending on the atmosphere.

Alan

1 hour ago, Physopto said:

You will be banned from Scotland fer yer spelin :evil4:

All the photo's and some pedantic sod picks up on a bit of poor spelling :thumbsup:

I'll leave it Derek as it's spelt correctly in the second set of photo's :wink2: 

Good pics, Damian, thanks. I had already got the 'feel' for your trip, knowing some of the area, but the photos are a good graphic illustration of your journey into 'the wilds'. And I share your pain that you didn't have more clear nights. But the one (two?) you had will shine in your memories. 

However, and on another tack, when it comes to pedantry, we Jocks are world class - and we miss nothing! So don't get locked up for lochs and don't get frisky with whisky.??

Hope you get that return trip sorted out. You never know, might be better skies ...

might be worse.

21 minutes ago, DeepSkyBagger said:

Pedantry alert! Superfluous apostrophe: photos, not photo's.

I'll get me coat...

Oh, alright! There are other world class pedants. ?

Apparently, at least one in 'North East'. Now where could that be north-east of, I wonder. ?

Archived