stargazine_ep35_banner.thumb.jpg.a7c1791d7e682021778de0def357bdbb.jpg

I'm want to get into AP iamging DSOs but have focusing issues - nothing new there I guess.

My basic question is this:

Is it possible to use a DSLR and USB link to display live images on a Windows PC (or Android Tablet) with sufficient resolution to use a Bahtinov grating for focusing?

If so, which DSLR have people used in this way? And which software?

I have been trying without success to use my Sony A300 DSLR  but the built-in LCD display is far too low resolution to see the fringes from a Bahtinov grating. The grating works great with an eyepiece so nothing wrong with the grating. And the Sony video out is of similar low resolution to the LCD display. And unless I'm missing a trick (please tell me if I am!) there is no way to get live images over the USB link.

As a very poor second best, is there any single software (for Cannon, Sony, whatever) that will allow triggering of images (Bulb mode) and upload the image almost immediately. I guess I could live with that just so long as I end up with a properly focused system.

My scope is a 6" f10 CS. And yes, I know f10 is too slow and I need a field expander but it's where I'm at at the moment. And unless I can crack the focusing all other issues are secondary.

Many Thanks for reading this far!

Geo

Hi and welcome

first of all yes all the things you want to do are very possible and almost easy to do.

if looking for a new camera, look for a secondhand canon 450D, 1000D or 1100D, all these have live view and will allow pictures to be displayed on a PC screen, which as you say is the way to go for focusing with a mask.

As for software, well in my opinion try APT which is designed for using DSLR cameras exactly as you describe, it is full of functions and tools entirely for this purpose, and had great focusing tools which almost fully automate focusing....you will find it here:

http://www.ideiki.com/astro/Default.aspx

Your scope is pretty slow at f10, but it is doable, but a focal reducer will help a lot, as I say as you would be using a DSLR which has a nice big sensor, then even at f10 you will get some superb images... :)

Edited by SkyBound

I used to use a Sony a290 but had to bite the bullet and bought a second-hand canon with live view. 

Like you say there is no live view and,my a290 didn't even record video either. There wasn't any intervalometer connection either but I'm not sure if that's the same for the a300. 

See this link for a way of tethering the camera to a computer...

http://alphasight.blogspot.co.uk/2008/09/tethered-shooting-with-your-alpha-dslr.html?m=1

But I'm not sure if this method of tethering will give you what you need, I never tried it. 

A low-end camera body is fine for starting out in Astro photography.  As SkyBound says a canon 1000d (old and not available new) 1100D (ditto) or 1300D are good starter cameras.  Used is fine as long as they work !! :)  Check http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/ for new prices.

Canon supply "Utilities" with their cameras that allow you to use a computer to control the camera and see the Live view screen.  It works well.  APT (as above) has far more additional functionality if you think you need it - or you can simply download the free version to try it out first.

You can use a Bahtinov mask with live view (zoom in to see the pattern) or "Bahtinav Grabber" which shows the pattern and tells you when focus is achieved.  https://web.archive.org/web/20160220123031/http://www.njnoordhoek.com/?cat=10    It is also included with Astro photography tool.

Rather than changing camera, isn't it possible to digitally zoom in on the live view with the Sony?

If not, take a picture and zoom in in the preview, I used to do that with a 10D taking a series of 5-10 second shots (it doesn't have any live view) and it only took a minute or two to get focus spot on.

9 hours ago, SkyBound said:

It is Bahtinov grabber not grating .... :) 

Actually, the mask is technically a grating. The "Bahtinov Grabber" is a piece of software written to evaluate how close to focus your system is, based on the diffraction spike pattern produced by the Bahtinov mask. Jus' sayin' :)

11 hours ago, geoscope said:

I'm want to get into AP iamging DSOs but have focusing issues - nothing new there I guess.

My basic question is this:

Is it possible to use a DSLR and USB link to display live images on a Windows PC (or Android Tablet) with sufficient resolution to use a Bahtinov grating for focusing?

If so, which DSLR have people used in this way? And which software?

I have been trying without success to use my Sony A300 DSLR  but the built-in LCD display is far too low resolution to see the fringes from a Bahtinov grating. The grating works great with an eyepiece so nothing wrong with the grating. And the Sony video out is of similar low resolution to the LCD display. And unless I'm missing a trick (please tell me if I am!) there is no way to get live images over the USB link.

As a very poor second best, is there any single software (for Cannon, Sony, whatever) that will allow triggering of images (Bulb mode) and upload the image almost immediately. I guess I could live with that just so long as I end up with a properly focused system.

My scope is a 6" f10 CS. And yes, I know f10 is too slow and I need a field expander but it's where I'm at at the moment. And unless I can crack the focusing all other issues are secondary.

Many Thanks for reading this far!

Geo

I've used the windows software supplied with canon cameras D600/D700/D70 to focus with a Bahtinov mask.

BackyardEOS (windows) 

SofortBild (free for OSX) works with Nikon D90. There is also BackyardNikon (windows) which should also work

2 hours ago, Pompey Monkey said:

Actually, the mask is technically a grating. The "Bahtinov Grabber" is a piece of software written to evaluate how close to focus your system is, based on the diffraction spike pattern produced by the Bahtinov mask. Jus' sayin' :)

Oops, my mistake sorry.... :) meant to put Mask.....

Edited by SkyBound
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for the useful feedback. Lots to pursue now and I'm feeling a bit more optimistic. I think I'll be heading for a Canon 1100 or 1200.  The APT s/w looks good value, also Backyard EOS. Lots to go at now, inputs much appreciated.

Geo

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By DrummerSP
      Hi!
      Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong section (this is my first post on any kind of forum!) and I'm aware its a question thats probably been asked thousands of times. Please let me know if I should post elsewhere or anything...
      So I've made some progress with astrophotography but as much as I try I get so confused with lenses and the specifics so thought I'd ask people who understand them more. My setup so far is a Canon EOS 550d, with a 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens all on a Star Adventurer pro tracker (recently upgraded from an Omegon LX3 mini track). The camera and lens were both second hand and passed down to me so I dont really know how old they are now but I've been getting good results so far (uploaded one of my recent images, still using the minitrack for reference)
      Basically I dont know if I'm better off upgrading the camera and sticking with the telephoto lens (from what I can find its a good lens), or would changing to a small telescope be better. If I was to, from what I've found the Sharpstar 61EDPH II would be a good choice?
      I've researched a lot and just dont understand the technical side enough to know where I'm better off putting my money. My budget would be around £1000, maybe slightly more for a camera as I do use it for other photography too. Any advice would be very appreciated, sorry for the long post!

• By endless-sky
      I would like to share my fourth image.
      With my "lucky week" of imaging, along with M33, I managed to finish also this project. This is my longest integration to date.
      These are IC 405 and IC 410, also known as the Flaming Star Nebula and the Tadpole Nebula, respectively, taken over 7 nights, under my Bortle 5/6 home sky.
      Total integration time: 18h 29m 00s.
      Here are the acquisition details:
      Mount: Sky-Watcher NEQ6 Pro
      Telescope: Tecnosky 80/480 APO FPL53 Triplet OWL Series
      Camera: D5300 astromodified
      Reducer/flattener: Tecnosky 4 elements, 0.8x
      Guide-scope: Artesky UltraGuide 60mm f/4
      Guide-camera: ZWO ASI 224MC
      2020/11/18: Number of subs/Exposure time: 41@240s + 1@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/11/21: Number of subs/Exposure time: 48@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 46% illuminated
      2020/11/24: Number of subs/Exposure time: 48@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 75% illuminated
      2020/12/07: Number of subs/Exposure time: 15@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/12/13: Number of subs/Exposure time: 22@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2021/01/10: Number of subs/Exposure time: 37@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2021/01/11: Number of subs/Exposure time: 18@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      Total exposure time: 66540s = 18h 29m 00s.
      Pre and post-processing: PixInsight 1.8.8-7.

This image was particularly hard to process, since there are many bright stars and stretching the nebulosity while taming the stars was quite difficult. I am sure I didn't manage it as well as I would have liked.
      Here's a link to the full resolution image: Flaming Star Nebula (IC 405) and Tadpole Nebula (IC 410)
      Thanks for looking!
      C&C welcome!
    • By endless-sky
      I would like to share my third image.
      I finally had a "lucky week", since my last session, December 18th. I managed 5 clear nights out of the past 6 (has to be a record, at least for me and my area) and I was able to finish a couple of projects I had started long ago and start a few new ones.
      This is M33, also known as the Triangulum Galaxy, taken over 10 nights, under my Bortle 5/6 home sky.
      Total integration time: 10h 14m 00s.
      Here are the acquisition details:
      Mount: Sky-Watcher NEQ6 Pro
      Telescope: Tecnosky 80/480 APO FPL53 Triplet OWL Series
      Camera: D5300 astromodified
      Reducer/flattener: Tecnosky 4 elements, 0.8x
      Guide-scope: Artesky UltraGuide 60mm f/4
      Guide-camera: ZWO ASI 224MC
      2020/11/08: Number of subs/Exposure time: 11@240s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/11/09: Number of subs/Exposure time: 10@240s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/11/20: Number of subs/Exposure time: 15@240s + 4@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 30% illuminated
      2020/11/21: Number of subs/Exposure time: 22@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 45% illuminated
      2020/11/24: Number of subs/Exposure time: 20@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 75% illuminated
      2020/12/13: Number of subs/Exposure time: 12@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/12/14: Number of subs/Exposure time: 8@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/12/18: Number of subs/Exposure time: 6@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 20% illuminated
      2021/01/10: Number of subs/Exposure time: 9@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2021/01/11: Number of subs/Exposure time: 15@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      Total exposure time: 36840s = 10h 14m 00s.
      Pre and post-processing: PixInsight 1.8.8-7.

Image was Drizzle Integrated and then cropped to original sensor size (6016x4016), without resampling. So, it appears as if taken ad double the focal length (768mm instead of 384mm). Image scale 1.04 arc-sec/pixel.
      Here's a link to the full resolution image: Triangulum Galaxy (M33)
      Thanks for looking!
      C&C welcome!
    • By cwinstone
      Hello, does anyone know if my imaging train looks correct, and if it does, why am i still getting these coma errors?
      Could it be incorrect backfocus? Searching the internet makes me think my dslr is 44mm, adding the t ring (even tried a 1mm spacer too) gets me to the required 55mm (assuming that's correct)
      I have no idea how to solve this and i feel like I'm just throwing money down the drain fighting this in vien. Help would be much appreciated.
      Skywacher Evostar 72ed
      Reducer rotator for 72ed (needs this for extra distance to achieve focus, the reducer and adapter alone doesn't allow for enough outwards travel)
      Reducer/corrector for ed72
      Canon eos 650d

• By Uncertainty
      Hi, 
      I am a complete novice and got into astrophotography in December of last year, I had some decent success using only my Canon 450D and stock 18-55mm lens. 
      Since then I have purchased a telescope and mount (Sky-Watcher Startravel 102 and the AZGTe WiFi GOTO mount), which arrived yesterday. Luck would have it that the skies were clear last night and I had a go at imaging both M42 and M31 (also tried m45 tonight just to see if I could fiddle around with anything to solve it, but no luck), both of which came out pretty dissapointingly.
      If someone could tell my what is is that is wrong with the star shapes in the images, and potential fixes, it would be greatly appreciated, as I don't want to waste another clear night if it is an easy fix!
      I have read about coma, but also that refractors don't have this issue, so I am completely baffled.

Thanks in advance.

M45 at 1 second exposure, M42 at 20 seconds and M31 at 30 seconds.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.