Jump to content

sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

WADAS forum 3


mapstar
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Mark62 said:

its really hazy out and I'm not sure it's going to get any better to be honest. The Dales seems a trail for poor seeing as well as the DLB 

I'd agree Mark.

The moon being nearly full will wash all but open clusters and globs out. I won't be out but if I was it would be the cricket club 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cheers guys, yeah I think you're right. Conditions will be difficult. I want to do a bit of scope adjustment (collimation and mess about with length of image train) so I'll probably just stay local.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Dec said:

Cheers guys, yeah I think you're right. Conditions will be difficult. I want to do a bit of scope adjustment (collimation and mess about with length of image train) so I'll probably just stay local.

I think that's the sensible thingy to do Dec. You can always practice on Jupiter the moon won't effect that 

Edited by Mark62
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, estwing said:

its not that good this side the Peak District either chaps...very hazy

A lot of haze here Calv, I can't see the hilltops in the distance which are usually clear as a whistle 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dec said:

Hi all,

I'm going to do a bit of stargazing tonight at either Sutton bank or into dales, possibly malham if anyone fancies it.

DLB is up so conditions won't be ideal but fancy getting out anyway. Have a bit of testing/faffing to do with scope so be good to get that done.

What time are you setting off at Declan, can we meet up someplace, knows its not ideal but any practice is good practice for me anyway haha

eric

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, 2STAR said:

What time are you setting off at Declan, can we meet up someplace, knows its not ideal but any practice is good practice for me anyway haha

eric

Hi Eric, haha I'm in the same boat. The more practice the better. Was thinking I might stay local due to conditions but don't mind a trip to Sutton bank if you fancy it. It's only an hour up the A1

I could meet you at wetherby services at say 8pm if that suits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mapstar said:

A lot of haze here Calv, I can't see the hilltops in the distance which are usually clear as a whistle 

Are you sure that is not whisk(e)y induced? Auchentoshan is £10 off at Tesco's ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, astrotyke said:

Hazy here too. No point in going to the dales with these conditions and the dlb out. If it's only scooe adjustments thats need to do then I would always do these on the back garden or very local. 

I agree Chris. It's going to me up all night I'm sure you can do what's needed at home in case you need anything 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, mapstar said:

Ha ha I wish, Dales week after next fort new moooin :thumbright:

Went up to Declans Spot at Sutton Bank for a few hours, very impressive, can imagine it when dark, was like daylight there with the Moon but still plenty of Stars visible, far far better than Winscar !!!, it's a very small camp/caravan site, M51 looked impressive on Declan's screen he has a really good set up pit together, Definately up there back end of month when New Moon.

Got home for just before 3am, now getting ready to be in Halifax for 9-30 haha Soccer match Grandson, it's tough being retired !!!!!!!!!!!.

eric

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, 2STAR said:

Went up to Declans Spot at Sutton Bank for a few hours, very impressive, can imagine it when dark, was like daylight there with the Moon but still plenty of Stars visible, far far better than Winscar !!!, 

I have been there quite a few times Eric and went up with Nick a few months ago who was impressed with the spot I use.

The eastern view is very good with no light pollution. South is poor though with the vale of York highly polluted. 

I think the main thing over Winscar is that it has less moisture in the air which does make a huge difference.

Along with quite a few I have seen Winscar at it's best and cannot understand what has changed but these murky skies we seem to have are poor for most site's but seem to affect it up there more. 

I guess it is as far either way for you Eric and the next time I venture up there I'll have to show you the spot I use. :thumbright:

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

it was pretty clear over my way last night, don't think i had the haze you guys had. I looked outside a few nights ago (before the moon had risen) and I counted 32 stars! Last night was far better, even with the DLB shining at near full.

on another note, I've decided that 1am, after a session, is not the best time to collimate the scope - I was getting a squished circle on a defocused star, but afterwards it was a circle. Still not sure of the secondary shadows though?

before:

58e9ffbdec24f_WP_20170409_00_12_25_Pro(2).thumb.jpg.54437e479c41cad201e37bbb318929ca.jpg

after:

WP_20170409_00_36_24_Pro.thumb.jpg.107d0ff8bc3576d0d205812d1b24d968.jpg

 

 

WP_20170409_00_12_25_Pro.jpg

Edited by rockystar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 2STAR said:

Went up to Declans Spot at Sutton Bank for a few hours, very impressive, can imagine it when dark, was like daylight there with the Moon but still plenty of Stars visible, far far better than Winscar !!!, it's a very small camp/caravan site, M51 looked impressive on Declan's screen he has a really good set up pit together, Definately up there back end of month when New Moon.

Got home for just before 3am, now getting ready to be in Halifax for 9-30 haha Soccer match Grandson, it's tough being retired !!!!!!!!!!!.

eric

Was good to get out last night, really enjoyed it even with the conditions.

Eric had a cracking view of Jupiter on his image capture software. The GRS was really clear.

Managed to get my scope collimated although still have a small bit of coma around the edge of my subs. Need to play with the spacing adjustment to the coma corrector.

Hopefully get some clear nights around new moon at the end of the month.

Good luck for the footy this morning Eric. You've done well to get up and out.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, rockystar said:

it was pretty clear over my way last night, don't think i had the haze you guys had. I looked outside a few nights ago (before the moon had risen) and I counted 32 stars! Last night was far better, even with the DLB shining at near full.

on another note, I've decided that 1am, after a session, is not the best time to collimate the scope - I was getting a squished circle on a defocused star, but afterwards it was a circle. Still not sure of the secondary shadows though?

before:

58e9ffbdec24f_WP_20170409_00_12_25_Pro(2).thumb.jpg.54437e479c41cad201e37bbb318929ca.jpg

after:

WP_20170409_00_36_24_Pro.thumb.jpg.107d0ff8bc3576d0d205812d1b24d968.jpg

 

WP_20170409_00_12_25_Pro.jpg

Looks better Lee but still off slightly have a look at Astrobabys guide to collimation using a Cheshire here if you've not already got it. May help Declan too as his scope is faster and a lot more susceptible to coma.

201281510358_Astro Babys Guide to Collimation.pdf

Hope the link works. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, 2STAR said:

Went up to Declans Spot at Sutton Bank for a few hours, very impressive, can imagine it when dark, was like daylight there with the Moon but still plenty of Stars visible, far far better than Winscar !!!, it's a very small camp/caravan site, M51 looked impressive on Declan's screen he has a really good set up pit together, Definately up there back end of month when New Moon.

Got home for just before 3am, now getting ready to be in Halifax for 9-30 haha Soccer match Grandson, it's tough being retired !!!!!!!!!!!.

eric

Couple of 30sec  images of the Moon from last night

 

 

MOON 8-4-17.jpg

MOON2 8-4-17.jpg

Edited by 2STAR
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/04/2017 at 00:14, mapstar said:

Good meeting tonight and an excellent talk by G. Followed by the usual top curry with lots of laughs.

Thanks to all that tirned up and a warm welcome to our new members Mike and Ben.

Damian :thumbright:

Thanks Damian,

it was a great turnout and everyone was in good spirits...

About 80% recovered from my illness now probably helped by good lamb chops. 

A good evening out!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.