SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS forum 3

mapstar

6 hours ago, rockystar said:

I really fancied that talk, sounded like it would be a good one, but I'm not allowed out to you guys more than once a month :( 

I'm starting to get the bits together to build this power supply, while I'm doing it, is it worth sticking any extra power connections on, like cigarette lighter socket, or USB for future use?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-12V-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-USB-Charger-Power-Adapter-Outlet-JX/142068009464

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adapter-socket-2-USB-Ports-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Charger-for-12V-Car-Auto-FK/232116810255

Hi Lee USB might be a good idea 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have full set of 2016 Sky at Night and Astronomy Now magazines. Once I've read through them I don't go back through them again, so they are now surplus to requirements. If anyone would like them just let me know and I'll bring them to the next meeting :)

On 21/01/2017 at 17:44, rockystar said:

How has my ebay basket got to over £80 putting all the bits together for this... :confused3: :confused: :dontknow: 

And I've already bought about £10's worth

Hi Lee

what battery are you using ,has I am thinking about getting a 100ah leisure battery

and building one myself as I have already got one using two 7ah batteries 

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG

not sorted the battery yet, need to buy in bits as funds are only tricking through at the moment. I've only got a single dew strap that needs powering!

Damian posted a link above to a 22ah one, but I've currently got a cheaper 12ah (that comes with a charger) in my basket (not checked out yet, so all changable) with the thought that I could add another 12ah in the future if required.

I notice that both you and Marci fitted voltometers; is it worth fitting one?

53 minutes ago, rockystar said:

not sorted the battery yet, need to buy in bits as funds are only tricking through at the moment. I've only got a single dew strap that needs powering!

Damian posted a link above to a 22ah one, but I've currently got a cheaper 12ah (that comes with a charger) in my basket (not checked out yet, so all changable) with the thought that I could add another 12ah in the future if required.

I notice that both you and Marci fitted voltometers; is it worth fitting one?

I'd go for the 22ah Lee as 12ah won't last long.

The volt meter is a good guide to how much you are pulling through your heaters. I see the volts drop when I vary the heating. 

9 minutes ago, mapstar said:

I'd go for the 22ah Lee as 12ah won't last long.

The volt meter is a good guide to how much you are pulling through your heaters. I see the volts drop when I vary the heating. 

It was just cost Damian, that was the only reason - and you have to remember that I don't do these 8h all night sessions ( and doubt I'll get a chance to do one any time soon). If it lasts me 2.5 hrs, I'll be happy with that at the moment.

I can always get another 6 months down the line and chain them together.

I'd also go for the larger one Lee, I used to have a smaller battery pack that just lasted 2 hours and it was frustrating once it ran out when the skies were still crystal clear! Buy right first time then you don't have to upgrade later on. ;)

I would get the biggest battery you can 'afford' even if it means saving up for it. Ive been out with my dslr before with just one battery that has dies after about 90 minutes or so and thats fine if you just want to do visual after that, but if not, it could be annoying. But maybe as you have said 2 and a half hours or so for you is enough. i dont know how long the 12mah batteries will last you. would be cheaper would it be cheaper saving for the 22 ones as if you did change in 6 months time then you will have bought both size batteries.

Hi all,

The weather hasn't been very kind over the January new moon up to now and the forum seems very quiet compared to this time last year.

I have been doing a little tinkering with the scope and looking forward to giving it a run out. Just wondering what the rest of the WADAS crew have been up to? 

Last night gave a brief gap of three hours but I'd not planned setting up anywhere as the weather report was just so dire. Waking at half four in the morning I had a quick look out and it was clear so maybe a missed opportunity if just to get reacquainted with the stars. 

It's our meeting on thursday don't forget so hopefully see everyone there. In the meantime I will keep an eye on the weather and try to slot a few hours in. 

I was just sat looking at that lovely blue sky this morning and wondering if the clear skies will last until this evening. The skies haven't been good and I haven't had my scope out since the bank holiday Monday after New Years Day. Think I've lost my astro-mojo a bit to be honest. Keeping an eye on the forecast to see if I can get out whilst the Moon is out of the way.

Looking forward to the meeting on Thursday. Remember it is a club night. If anyone can bring lens cleaning kit that would be appreciated. I'll probably bring my laptop in case anyone wants to look at some basic processing. If anyone else has anything they would like to bring that would be great :)

Same here. Not been out much recently, unfortunatley I won't be there on Thursday as things stand  currently. The forecast at the momment is for cloud and rain tonight :( but I hope to be out soon with the scope. I think I will be ordering myself a nice set of bins. Also useful for nights when the weather isn't good enough to warrent setting the scooe up

On 29/01/2017 at 10:37, Marci said:

I'll be bringing MacBooks, soldering gear n' box o' bits & probably set myself up in a corner to continue with raspberrypi fiddlings.

@Vicky050373 - download this n' I'll take you thru some quick tips if you like... https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

Sounds great Marc. I've downloaded the Nik Collection file and it's attached itself to my PS Elements 11. Couldn't work out how to attach it to PS CS2 - maybe it isn't compatible with that version. Anyway, we can have a look at it on Thursday. Thank you :)

Hi Vicky 

yes it is compatible with cs2 but I think you have to do it manually 

you have to find the nic folder and cut and paste it into the plugin folder

in ps cs2 hope it makes sense 

neil

3 hours ago, mapstar said:

Peak mini Star Party booked for Friday and Saturday nights. Might even sneak Sunday in if the weather is good :grin:

Great that's one person I know looking forward to going

Archived