SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS forum 3

mapstar

Not a bad episode of Stargazing Live. Seriously developing a thing for Greg. He's brilliant! Was great to see an image by Andrew Davies (Astrofarm) featured in the programme, and also to have children from a school in Wakefield on the show, even Wakefield was named as one of the most light polluted places in the UK. Don't we know it!!!???!!!  They captured some lovely images. Wonder if Soupy arranged any of it with it being in Wakefield?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah good episode and fabulous to see local school children doing astronomy. Good to emphasise our light polluted area and hope people take notice.

Enjoyed it and looking forward to tomorrows programme. 

1 hour ago, Vicky050373 said:

Pleased to hear you both had a good weekend away. Lovely image Neil. Did you use your Star Adventurer? Nice colors in the nebula. What exposure length is it? :)

Hi Vicky 

thanks yes I used the star adventurer the exposure is 25 seconds I think ISO 1000

i will check the exif when I fire the computer up

3 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

Not a bad episode of Stargazing Live. Seriously developing a thing for Greg. He's brilliant! Was great to see an image by Andrew Davies (Astrofarm) featured in the programme, and also to have children from a school in Wakefield on the show, even Wakefield was named as one of the most light polluted places in the UK. Don't we know it!!!???!!!  They captured some lovely images. Wonder if Soupy arranged any of it with it being in Wakefield?

Is Soupy the Wakefield appointed astronomer :) Greg is good, hes on twitter, ive started following him :)

Clear skies friday night at the moment so i hope i can get out with the scope 

Hi Everyone

My first post on here, having just signed up! Just had a few days away in the Peak District, found a lovely dark site and  got really lucky with the weather and got two decent nights observing on Friday & Saturday. I managed for the first time to see all the naked eye planets in the same night, Venus was particularly challenging in a frosty morning sky, accompanied by a slim waning crescent moon!

managed to tick off a fair few Messier objects, M35, M36, M37, M38, , M41 M42, & M101.  

I spent quite a long time trying to find the comet in Ursa Major but it eluded me! 

Managed to get a few images taken too, but nothing as good as those of the Leo Galaxies and Orion posted on here recently.

hope to see you at the next meeting. did someone mention curry??

Ben

1 minute ago, Bengrant76 said:

Hi Everyone

My first post on here, having just signed up! Just had a few days away in the Peak District, found a lovely dark site and  got really lucky with the weather and got two decent nights observing on Friday & Saturday. I managed for the first time to see all the naked eye planets in the same night, Venus was particularly challenging in a frosty morning sky, accompanied by a slim waning crescent moon!

managed to tick off a fair few Messier objects, M35, M36, M37, M38, , M41 M42, & M101.  

I spent quite a long time trying to find the comet in Ursa Major but it eluded me! 

Managed to get a few images taken too, but nothing as good as those of the Leo Galaxies and Orion posted on here recently.

hope to see you at the next meeting. did someone mention curry??

Ben

Welcome Ben.

Nice haul of object there. Where in the peaks did you go? The transparency this weekend could've been better and would've revealed a lot more detail to objects.

You are welcome to pop along for a curry after the meeting with all the crew.

Damian 

Cheers Damian

I was in Millers' Dale. We were staying in one of the holiday cottages at Monks Dale farm. its a good location for astronomy with a big garden and a good east-south-west horizon. Think you are right there was some haze about which might have hidden some of the fainter objects...

See you all next week hopefully. where do you go for curry? 

On 3/26/2017 at 13:44, mapstar said:

High hazy clouds blighted everywhere in britain last night so the light pollution was bounced around and scattered.

It was the same at the peak star party. I couldn't see the milkyway and haven't done so from winscar the last few nights I've  tried, making for washed out skies and  mushy views.

I don't think it is a fault of winscars location and will still try, when the milkyway does appear it can be good.

Just pollution at present affecting the transparency. Blame plane travel 

Winscar is better than the back garden I will still go, but am ok for further afield anytime also, Dales, Sutton Bank, or ANYWHERE

Looking good for a trip out tomorrow night by the BBC weather forecast.

Either the dales near Tan Hill which will be my preferred option or Winscar. Sutton bank looks to be clouded out.

Sunset time 19:50 so full astro darkness will follow at around 22:00 to 04:25 but will probably pack up around then to be home for 6ish as I'm working Monday afternoon 

Waxing crescent DLB will set around midnight :grin:

On 3/30/2017 at 10:19, mapstar said:

It maybe looking good for a trip out Saturday night. I'm thinking Sutton bank looking at the forecast this seems to be clear all night. 

Let me know Damian please

eric

7 minutes ago, 2STAR said:

Let me know Damian please

eric

More like dales Eric, it's 4 hours round trip though along A66 to Tan hill I'll probably go upearly to have a scout about. 

1 hour ago, mapstar said:

More like dales Eric, it's 4 hours round trip though along A66 to Tan hill I'll probably go upearly to have a scout about. 

Local Tan Hill weather station saying Fog at moment cloud at 175ft,  but clear tonight 97% humidity, no wind factor, 0.0 rain forecast.

20 minutes ago, 2STAR said:

Local Tan Hill weather station saying Fog at moment cloud at 175ft,  but clear tonight 97% humidity, no wind factor, 0.0 rain forecast.

BBC has it cloudy tonight Eric. Clear tomorrow night though. Just looked at that weather station data. Need to get on pc to see it fully but it seems to say it was updated march 12th? 

22 minutes ago, mapstar said:

BBC has it cloudy tonight Eric. Clear tomorrow night though. Just looked at that weather station data. Need to get on pc to see it fully but it seems to say it was updated march 12th? 

Typical haha, could make Winscar tomorrow but not further, have Grandson's all day will be knackered !!!!!!!!!

Just a reminder that our next WADAS meeting is this Thursday 6th April 2017 where we have our very own Gain Lee giving his talk on Observing and Imaging Galaxy Superclusters.

This promises to be a very interesting and entertaining evening as Gain, in his very own style, imparts some of the wealth of knowledge he has gained over the many years he has held a passion for astronomy.

Meeting starts at 7.30pm at Horbury Academy.

Everyone welcome.

There will be a £3.00 charge for non-members and no charge for members as Gain is an in-house speaker.

On 3/29/2017 at 21:01, Vicky050373 said:

Getting worse also, just learned that Spring Mill 9 hole Golf Course has been sold for development, that's an end to my NE outlook.

eric

Not good news about Spring Mill Eric. My mum told me about it the other day and I was going to ask you of you had heard what the plans were for the site.

It's really cleared up my way tonight. Beautiful clear skies with a crescent moon setting to the west and Jupiter shining brightly. Having a night at my mates house tonight. Having a few drinks and binge watching Game of Thrones. Only had a few quick peeks outside. Hope some of you have managed to get out to do some observing or imaging :)

7 hours ago, mapstar said:

Disappointingly Met check has a different forecast for tonight? 

I shall keep all posted here to say where I'm heading later :thumbright:

Usual mixture of weather forecast for tonight, bbc, met,accu  all slightly different, :hmh::hmh:

Yeah been watching it all Eric. I'm not sure about venturing to the dales if I am I need to be setting off in the next hour.

Been watching the satellite images here on SAT24

Update in half an hour 

Looks like the clouds are clearing but I'm not sure about the 2 hour journey back from the dales and a few hours before work.

so heading to Winscar I'll be up there for 8 or just before lets hope the high hazy stuff isn't there 

Archived