Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS forum 3

mapstar

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I know this thursday Neil where we have Paul Money giving a talk. 

I will be in Galloway so unfortunately will miss it. 

The weather of late has been the worst I have seen in 4 years according to my notes 2 hours viewing up to now! 

Yes, our next meeting is this Thursday 23rd February where we have guest speaker Paul Money giving his talk entitled "Triumphs of Voyager Part 1: Journey to Jupiter, Splendours of Saturn". He will also be bringing some copies of NightScenes 2017 and a few copies of his novel for anyone to purchase. Meeting starts at 7.30pm at Horbury Academy as usual :)

I hope you have a good meeting, I wont be able to make tonight as I am back in Scunthorpe again today - we lost my Dad a couple of months ago so have a lot to sort out, physically, emotionally and legally. I am definitely a few months over since when my membership ran out though, I cant make many of the weekday evenings, but im determined to start getting down to Winscarr when we go out and start up the AP again.

Glad everyone enjoyed the meeting and Paul was his entertaining self. Hopefully we will get a few others commenting as the thread has been very quiet of late. 

Vicky you need to get your finger out as we need a comittee meeting.

Galloway is fresh this am with a frost. Did a bit of camera phone solar for you peeps out there 

20170224_085008.jpg

Chow for now as breakfast is in the offing 

10 hours ago, mapstar said:

Glad everyone enjoyed the meeting and Paul was his entertaining self. Hopefully we will get a few others commenting as the thread has been very quiet of late. 

Vicky you need to get your finger out as we need a comittee meeting.

Galloway is fresh this am with a frost. Did a bit of camera phone solar for you peeps out there 

20170224_085008.jpg

Chow for now as breakfast is in the offing 

Hi Damian hope you have a good time in Galloway see you in Derbyshire next month has I might not be at next WADAS meeting 

Nice sun halo image D! Hope you had a really good time up at Galloway. It'll be good to see you again at the next meeting if you are able to make it.

Managed a quick half hour outside this morning and viewed/imaged the Sun in white light. A few nice little sunspots to be seen at the moment.
Not a great image as I was battling the clouds and terrible atmosphere, BUT it was great to get out with the scope and planetary camera.
Pity it got too cloudy before I had chance to have a go at a very thin waxing crescent moon, but I'm not really complaining.
Imaged using Skywatcher Equinox 80 ED refractor and QHY5L-II monochrome camera.
800 frame AVI stacked in DSS using best 50% of frames. Slight wavelets applied and no further processing as it quite frankly wasn't worth it :)

The Sun 28.02.2017.tif

3 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

Nice sun halo image D! Hope you had a really good time up at Galloway. It'll be good to see you again at the next meeting if you are able to make it

Thanks V

I'm doubtful for the meeting but will try.

Galloway star party report here

Spring 2017 GSP

Enjoy :headbang:

Just a reminder that it is our WADAS meeting tonight at Horbury Academy with our very own chairman Paul "Soupy" Campbell giving his talk entitled "Inner space - our own corner of the Galaxy!". 

Due to parents evening at the school, the meeting will have a slightly later starting time of 7.45pm.

Hopefully see a few of you there for what promises to be a very interesting evening :)

12 hours ago, James said:

Nicely said Derek :)

I was only able to get the one, all too brief timelapse done of Damian, David and myself observing :)  I set the camera up low to the ground so didn't have a great view of the screen... perhaps I might have noticed the washing line otherwise :) No sound I'm afraid.. timelapse pictures were taken with a Canon 6D through a 14mm Samyang lens. 

I had a great time - even if my memory isn't quite so clear on what happened Friday night... Sunday nights' chat in the warm room with another Derek who is deaf and speech impaired was a real eye-opener, there's a notepad out there with everything we all said (we did a lot of writing!). A little sign language was learned .. perhaps just as well as at least two of us (me included) really struggled with handwriting!!

Patricks going to have a go at me for my apostrophe's soon too I think :) 

I don't need to describe the stars visible in the short time lapse below but hidden in the dark there were Damians 22" f/3.4 homemade Dob and Davids 4" Tele Vue..

James

Time lapse from the sunday night at Galloway. Courtesy of James from FLO 

I finally got out tonight for a few hours started the evening with Venus and the moon than as it got darker Mars was next to look at. I then set up my eqmount and put the scope on to there  

The cloud was patchy Orion was next beehive cluster I had  limited sky and horizon so consented on high up objects M51, M81/82, M31, M36, M44, M97, M108, NGC457 the cloud was tick at times and I had to  wait for it to clear at times but it was good to get out even with the small frack. 

Hope you all had a good night last night. 

See you all soon 

Pleased to read you managed to get out Mark and enjoy a few nice targets.

Had to look up NGC457 - looks a nice little cluster and one I'll have a look for on a future viewing session. 

Did you manage to view M97 with the little frac? If so, I must have a go myself with the Equinox 80. 

Last nights meeting was really interesting - a great talk by Soupy going through or own solar system from the Sun to the Oort cloud. Shame there weren't many members there, but we had a couple of people there who are now becoming regulars, such as Ben and Mike, and it was good to see them.

Let's hope for some clear skies very soon so we can arrange a viewing night! 

28 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

Did you manage to view M97 with the little frac? If so, I must have a go myself with the Equinox 80. 

To be fair Vicky I could not see it through the eyepiece, I did  a 30 second sub and it shows up on it along with M108 The Surfboard galaxy. But i included it as it's as  good ? 

7 hours ago, Mark62 said:

I finally got out tonight for a few hours started the evening with Venus and the moon than as it got darker Mars was next to look at. I then set up my eqmount and put the scope on to there  

The cloud was patchy Orion was next beehive cluster I had  limited sky and horizon so consented on high up objects M51, M81/82, M31, M36, M44, M97, M108, NGC457 the cloud was tick at times and I had to  wait for it to clear at times but it was good to get out even with the small frack. 

Hope you all had a good night last night. 

See you all soon 

Glad you got out Mark and a real bonus that some Astronomy was done last night. 

Was very optimistic at the more than iffy forecast, so got set up to see how far I could get.
Decided to go for M81 and M82 as that area of sky was furthest from the approaching clouds.
Managed 5 x 60 second and 5 x 120 second subs before total cloud stopped play. Completed matching dark frames whilst I packed away and also grabbed some bias frames.
Quick process of my huge amounts of data....
Not sure what is causing that band down the centre. Might have another look tomorrow, but I might not waste any time on this set of data. At least I got out with the gear which was nice.
Images captured using APT with Atik 314L monochrome CCD and Skywatcher Equinox 80 on HEQ5 Pro. Guided using PHD with QHY5L-II. Stacked in DSS and lightly processed in PhotoShop.

M81 & M82.png

Very nice Vicky. I can just see the huge swirls of the arms on M81. 

I'm itching to get out  but the weather has been terrible.

Some clear spells as I left for work this morning with jupiter looking good.

Archived