Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

C/2016 U1 Neowise

3 hours ago, mdstuart said:

Might get up and try this one later.

Anyone seen it yet?

Seems to have been mag 17 but now getting brighter..I am hoping less than mag 14..

Mark

Had a look last week with the 10" SCT but couldn't find it, convinced myself that I saw C/2015 V2 (Johnson) :grin:

Dave :icon_santa:

Set the alarm for 5am this morning.

Lovely clear sky..

Pointed the 16 inch dob low down at bootes and picked up the comet c\2016 U1 Neowise

Very faint indeed. a 1cm across disk in my 7mm eyepiece. Even glow across the circle other than a bit of brightening at the centre.

Really rewarding to spot. The big wow is that when I came back an hour later it had moved! Might not seem a big deal but I observe lots of galaxies and they dont do that!

Hopefully it will get brighter later in the month.

neowise.gif

Regards

Mark Stuart

Dave

No I did not pick up on Johnson in time so I did not have a chart printed out. I would certainly not have picked up Neowise without a chart!

After Neo I took the opportunity to look at a few distant Coma galaxies, NGC 4789 / 4839 / 4853 / 4827 / 4816 - All pretty faint and small..

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

I observed it this morning, it apparently has brightened up and looked something like a small, bright globular cluster 7th magnitude or so. As the comet was quite low to the horizon no trace of a tail was observed.

Archived