Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The inaugural StuPOD, winner announced!

Stu

2 hours ago, niallk said:

This represents the, erm, pinnacle of my attempts at astro imaging.  You can see why I stick to pure visual, but have enormous respect for the skill and dedication involved in doing it all properly :icon_mrgreen:

Ladies and gentlemen: behold - the Moon!!

IMG_20160712_223349707.jpg

I think I can just make out N Armstrongs foot print :grin:

Dave :icon_santa: 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, niallk said:

This represents the, erm, pinnacle of my attempts at astro imaging.  You can see why I stick to pure visual, but have enormous respect for the skill and dedication involved in doing it all properly :icon_mrgreen:

Ladies and gentlemen: behold - the Moon!!

IMG_20160712_223349707.jpg

Aw. come on, try and do a bit worse, we don't encourage sharp detail.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The whole things rigged!

Oi!

There is a rigorous process that ensures only those with complete integrity, strong moral principles, honesty, uprightness, probity, rectitude, honour, nobility, virtue, decency, sincerity, truthfulness and good humour... achieve the position of SGL Mod. 

So there! :tongue2:

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Steve said:

Oi!

There is a rigorous process that ensures only those with complete integrity, strong moral principles, honesty, uprightness, probity, rectitude, honour, nobility, virtue, decency, sincerity, truthfulness and good humour... achieve the position of SGL Mod. 

So there! :tongue2:

Does this mean all the Mods are to be sacked and replaced with new ones that can measure up to the above criteria :grin:

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Does this mean all the Mods are to be sacked and replaced with new ones that can measure up to the above criteria :grin:

Not sure you mods would be able to get out of it that easily Jules... Sounds like a course of intensive training if you ask me... but you do get a badge to sow into your beany hats or swimming trunks upon passing so everyone can see the Statue of the position..

Some outrageous images in this thread, and a belter of an original idea from @Stu who I must say, as im aware he hasn't picked a winner for today, comes across a thoroughly good egg and vestibule of never ending knowledge, quick witted and generous, not to mention dreamily good looking... a mans man if you would, someone to buy a pint with out a shadow of a doubt......

Oh and he's my entry.. again it a transit, but it's not bad... picked up a part of a 22deg halo on it to, which I was pleased with.

Transit.jpg

Ta

Fozzie

Edited by Fozzie
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

... but you do get a badge to sow into your beany hats or swimming trunks upon passing so everyone can see the Statue of the position..

Eeerrrr.... :unsure:

31 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

... comes across a thoroughly good egg and vestibule of never ending knowledge, quick witted and generous, not to mention dreamily good looking... a mans man if you would, someone to buy a pint with out a shadow of a doubt......

Yup, that's the Stu we know and love :biggrin:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cotterless45 said:

This is one of my few tries at Astroimagining. I gaffer taped the phone to the ep and hoped for something. It's picked up the full bubble nebula, well nearly. I do realise this may be disqualified as this is a very difficult subject,

old Nick.IMG_1122.JPG

The bubble with a smart phone deserves some kind of award.

• Like 3

Maybe i need to go reread the OP. I thought this was for images taken only with a smartphoe (no other optical aid or processing).

"The only criteria is that the image must have been taken using a smartphone, with any processsing also done on the phone, no PCs, guiding or decent imaging mounts allowed".

Surely attaching a smartphone to a scope which is mounted on a tripod is breaking the rules?..........unless the tripod/mount is an EQ1 ......then the rules are intact.

LOL.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

1 hour ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Maybe i need to go reread the OP. I thought this was for images taken only with a smartphoe (no other optical aid or processing).

The rules are clear, and stated in this thread. Smartphone images taken through a scope is the simplest I can make it.

Apologies, been busy, next winner will be announced later this evening.

6 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Not sure you mods would be able to get out of it that easily Jules... Sounds like a course of intensive training if you ask me... but you do get a badge to sow into your beany hats or swimming trunks upon passing so everyone can see the Statue of the position..

Some outrageous images in this thread, and a belter of an original idea from @Stu who I must say, as im aware he hasn't picked a winner for today, comes across a thoroughly good egg and vestibule of never ending knowledge, quick witted and generous, not to mention dreamily good looking... a mans man if you would, someone to buy a pint with out a shadow of a doubt......

Oh and he's my entry.. again it a transit, but it's not bad... picked up a part of a 22deg halo on it to, which I was pleased with.

Transit.jpg

Ta

Fozzie

You will go far young Fozzie, very far indeed ;) 

• Like 1

Thank you all very much for your entries. I think they accurately represent the challenges which we PhoneAPers (or PAPs as we are often called) face.

Over exposure, lack of focus, even complete invisibility of the target object, these are all hallmarks of a PAP who has earned his or her stripes.

I must give a highly commended mention to Ant's disqualified Solar halo shot, beautiful, and of course I can see fozzie being a future winner of this competition for obvious reasons.

The winner of today's StuPOD however is Joe12345's Mercury transit shot with the 8" dob. It would be hard to imagine a less suitable rig for solar imaging, and I particularly liked the subtle pink and green shading which he has managed to maintain during processing. In addition to this, accurate use of exposure control has maintained the penumbras detail and Mecury itself is sharply defined, not easy to achieve.

Well done Joe!!

IMG_7937.JPG

• Like 12

Congratulations to Joe12345 a worthy winner, most expertly chosen..!

11 hours ago, Stu said:

You will go far young Fozzie, very far indeed ;) 

Always nice when somebody see's a bit of potential in you isn't it! :wink:

• Like 2