SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Knowledge for Christmas?

bish

Hi all,

The most intruguing aspect of astronomy for me is the search for life. If I could be given knowledge as a Christmas present it would be the answer to the question of other life in the universe.

what would yours be? An understanding of the creation (or not) of the universe would be a close second. 

Bish, for me it's a variation of your second choice - how does all space, time, and matter originate from nothing (which I believe goes by the unhelpful name of a "singularity")?  This thread might run the risk of straying into forbidden territory!

Doug.

37 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Bish, for me it's a variation of your second choice - how does all space, time, and matter originate from nothing (which I believe goes by the unhelpful name of a "singularity")?  This thread might run the risk of straying into forbidden territory!

Doug.

It is all mind blowing isn't it? You are right about the risk of forbidden territory - I hadn't thought about that!

1 hour ago, bish said:

Hi all,

The most intruguing aspect of astronomy for me is the search for life. If I could be given knowledge as a Christmas present it would be the answer to the question of other life in the universe.

what would yours be? An understanding of the creation (or not) of the universe would be a close second. 

I think it would be depressing to have such knowledge that you can do absolutely nothing with and even sharing it would have you labelled as crazy much like Giordano Bruno for suggesting that the universe is unbounded and that stars are much like the sun (ok he was labelled a heretic and burnt at the stake but times change eh?).

Knowledge that could be put to a practical application for the furtherment of mankind would be more in the spirit of the season and also more useful.

3 hours ago, bish said:

Hi all,

lotto numbers for next euromillions....

Are you hinting that the answer to the meaning of life, the universe and everything might not be "42"? Tell me its not true.  I hope you have have an enjoyable.meaningful and fulfilling Xmas and who knows a Eureka moment may strike. If so, don't shout too loudly, some folks might still be sleeping it all off.

Archived