Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Hi everyone,

looking for advice on buying a cheap 500mm telephoto lens/ mirror lens! I don't know too much about them so any information is appreciated. Would also love to see any examples of astrophotographs taken with these lens. 

Thanks guys! :D

I got this with an old PrinzGalaxy 400mm f6.3 lens that I picked up in a charity shop for £10.

29634915516_628a7eb93c_b.jpg

It's a stack of 30 frames (the best out of of 110), shot at f8, ISO 800 and 1/400th second. Single frames came out looking more like this:

26896033580_48a6164aa1_b.jpg

I wouldn't try to shoot DSOs with it though as I'd get much better results with my shorter lenses. What kinds of targets were you hoping to image?

• Like 1

Great shots! 

I'd love to simply get Orion Nebula and andromeda galaxy at the moment. 

any recommendations for a cheap lens that would be able to shoot these? 

Thanks ?

An old M42 mount fixed focal length lens should get fairly good results... A decent make like Pentax.

Look for one without dents on the front of the barrel!

Avoid cheap zoom lenses as they are not as good.

• Like 1

There are some good old lenses out there look at 135 or 200 mm ones as a good starting point.

Alan

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brosnan said:

I'd love to simply get Orion Nebula and andromeda galaxy at the moment. 

any recommendations for a cheap lens that would be able to shoot these? 

I put together a quick guide to budget lenses for AP that you might find useful, the example shots include an Orion nebula shot with a 200mm f4 SMC Takumar. My favorite vintage lens at the moment is my 135mm f3.5 Super Takumar, here's a recent image taken with it. Andromeda is a good target for an unmodded DSLR but a modded one will bring out far more detail on emission nebulae.

Hope that's some help, good luck with the imaging. :)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

I put together a quick guide to budget lenses for AP that you might find useful, the example shots include an Orion nebula shot with a 200mm f4 SMC Takumar. My favorite vintage lens at the moment is my 135mm f3.5 Super Takumar, here's a recent image taken with it. Andromeda is a good target for an unmodded DSLR but a modded one will bring out far more detail on emission nebulae.

Hope that's some help, good luck with the imaging. :)

Thanks so much! You're a great help! (I'm sure I'll be back to you with more questions haha). 

That budget lens guide is great, was actually reading it last night. 

Thanks again ?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.