Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi everyone,

looking for advice on buying a cheap 500mm telephoto lens/ mirror lens! I don't know too much about them so any information is appreciated. Would also love to see any examples of astrophotographs taken with these lens. 

Thanks guys! :D

I got this with an old PrinzGalaxy 400mm f6.3 lens that I picked up in a charity shop for £10.

29634915516_628a7eb93c_b.jpg

It's a stack of 30 frames (the best out of of 110), shot at f8, ISO 800 and 1/400th second. Single frames came out looking more like this:

26896033580_48a6164aa1_b.jpg

I wouldn't try to shoot DSOs with it though as I'd get much better results with my shorter lenses. What kinds of targets were you hoping to image?

12 hours ago, Brosnan said:

I'd love to simply get Orion Nebula and andromeda galaxy at the moment. 

any recommendations for a cheap lens that would be able to shoot these? 

I put together a quick guide to budget lenses for AP that you might find useful, the example shots include an Orion nebula shot with a 200mm f4 SMC Takumar. My favorite vintage lens at the moment is my 135mm f3.5 Super Takumar, here's a recent image taken with it. Andromeda is a good target for an unmodded DSLR but a modded one will bring out far more detail on emission nebulae.

Hope that's some help, good luck with the imaging. :)

21 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

I put together a quick guide to budget lenses for AP that you might find useful, the example shots include an Orion nebula shot with a 200mm f4 SMC Takumar. My favorite vintage lens at the moment is my 135mm f3.5 Super Takumar, here's a recent image taken with it. Andromeda is a good target for an unmodded DSLR but a modded one will bring out far more detail on emission nebulae.

Hope that's some help, good luck with the imaging. :)

Thanks so much! You're a great help! (I'm sure I'll be back to you with more questions haha). 

That budget lens guide is great, was actually reading it last night. 

Thanks again ?

Archived