Narrowband

Bode's Nebula and The Cigar Galaxy

Maximidius

Gotta be honest, I'm loathed to post this here, kinda scary considering the level of imaging on this site. I've gotten myself all worked up and in a tizz over whether i should or shouldn't put it up here. and then there is the concern that it'll be treated with contempt as it's not on a par with those marvelous images that get posted. You know what, what the hell. It's the best i can do in my sky conditions, with my kit, my capability and limited time, so I'll throw it up and hope that it's well received. I tried a slightly different processing flow and im not sure if it has worked. I kinda feel like my processing skills are on a plateau at the moment. So any constructive criticism is most welcome as i wish to learn.

Anyway here is 3hrs of 5min subs at ISO800 with 40 flats and 50 darks on M81 and M82. Taken with my 550D with an IDAS LPS MFA and 0.8 FF/FR on a SW80ED...All sitiing on a HEQ5pro. Bortle 6 and some high level clouds with marginal transparency and average seeing..Processed with DSS and PS CC 2017

Bodes Nebula First go small text.jpg

Cheers for looking :)

15 minutes ago, Maximidius said:

and then there is the concern that it'll be treated with contempt as it's not on a par with those marvelous images that get posted.

I have never seen this happen, ever, we were all beginners once and there is a culture on SGL of encouragement, advice & coaching not rubbishing the efforts of others. Please never feel ashamed or concerned to post an image :)

On to the image, it's a very good one too, I think there is room to boost the saturation a little, especially on the reds / yellows. Other than that nicely stretched / processed and presented. :)

1 minute ago, johnrt said:

I have never seen this happen, ever, we were all beginners once and there is a culture on SGL of encouragement, advice & coaching not rubbishing the efforts of others. Please never feel ashamed or concerned to post an image :)

On to the image, it's a very good one too, I think there is room to boot the saturation a little, especially on the reds / yellows. Other than that nicely stretched / processed and presented. :)

I'll take a look at boosting the saturation a touch. Thanks Jonhrt :) 

6 minutes ago, MartinFransson said:

If that´s your level of imaging then you have nothing to worry about! It´s a great image and also I don´t think anyone here would treat anyone bad regardless of how poor images they posted. More flaws and error = easier to give tips for improvement! :)

Cheers Martin :) ---" More flaws and error = easier to give tips for improvement!" Fair comment, dude...i'm all for learning, ;) 

41 minutes ago, Maximidius said:

Cheers Martin :) ---" More flaws and error = easier to give tips for improvement!" Fair comment, dude...i'm all for learning, ;) 

And just to be clear - "More flaws and error" was NOT referring to your image :) I was just saying that almost perfect images are very hard to improve but for more basic images even the not so experienced ones of us can chip in and help.

11 minutes ago, MartinFransson said:

And just to be clear - "More flaws and error" was NOT referring to your image :) I was just saying that almost perfect images are very hard to improve but for more basic images even the not so experienced ones of us can chip in and help.

No worries, Martin ;) but thanks for the consideration and making sure you are understood :) .... and as I said, I'm all ears when it comes to advice. 

Nice work and welcome aboard :) If i had not posted early images i would never have progressed and you will get nothing but good advice through sharing from the members here.

To the image it is solid, nice data and no major mistakes in the processing so that is a far better position than I was ever in!!

There are some areas you could work on to enhance things better, the background is well coloured but a little light tweaking that will reveal more detail in the galaxy.  As mentioned above there is probably some more colour in there as well, but start with brightness as this will darken the colour a little as well.

You are coming from the right place though, better to be too subtle and develop on that than too harsh and over-processed.  All things said its good work and a great foundation to build on.

Paddy

Well, with your intro, I feared the worst but this is a nice image. Even if it hadn't been a nice image, I would have been astonished if it had been rubbished here on SGL - that's not the way we work ......

Constructive criticism? A slightly darker background sky (but NOT jet black) and a saturation boost would to my eye increase the detail in what is already a very pleasing image.

13 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Nice work and welcome aboard :) If i had not posted early images i would never have progressed and you will get nothing but good advice through sharing from the members here.

To the image it is solid, nice data and no major mistakes in the processing so that is a far better position than I was ever in!!

There are some areas you could work on to enhance things better, the background is well coloured but a little light tweaking that will reveal more detail in the galaxy.  As mentioned above there is probably some more colour in there as well, but start with brightness as this will darken the colour a little as well.

You are coming from the right place though, better to be too subtle and develop on that than too harsh and over-processed.  All things said its good work and a great foundation to build on.

Paddy

13 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

Well, with your intro, I feared the worst but this is a nice image. Even if it hadn't been a nice image, I would have been astonished if it had been rubbished here on SGL - that's not the way we work ......

Constructive criticism? A slightly darker background sky (but NOT jet black) and a saturation boost would to my eye increase the detail in what is already a very pleasing image.

Thank you both for your advice and kind words. Along with advice posted earlier, i have tried to edit the image according to the noted suggestions. I reduced the background down to around the 20 to 23 for RGB, and I balanced and saturated the colour more in M81. Let me know if you think it's okay or i have if gone too far :) 

Bodes Nebula First go small text.jpg

Marvellous pic.  Is camera modded?  The colour is very good, in all the pic versions actually, and the detail is nice.  I've been struggling for about two weeks to process a slightly wider field image of Bode's nebula and cigar with about the same amount of data you have. Mine looks completely washed out and unsaturated compared to yours. I should perhaps post mine and ask your advice! :) 

I would be interested to know your DSS settings. 

Archived