SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Novice - first image of the moon

furrysocks2

My wife can't get excited enough to even come up and look at my first image of the moon, so I'm posting it here instead. ;)

I've got a 3" cheap reflector, removed from its mount, bolted to a joist hanger, clamped to a piece of timber, perched out the roof window and pointed at the moon.

window mount.JPG

The camera I'm using is a 1.3MP zc301 from ebay  - it's got an IR filter in the 0.91" nose, and a 1.25" adapter that screws over it. I tried without the filter first but took the shots with it on. I'm running a Windows 7 VM on a linux host, passing the webcam through as a device. SharpCap preview kept freezing and I thought it was over but when I actually came to image, it worked without issue.

I tried to focus best I could, and took a couple of 10 second videos (I could only keep it in frame for that length of time), then fat-fingered Registax to give me this. 67 frames, I think.

2016-12-8 out the window.jpg

First time I've looked at a moon atlas too - good to learn something - I think the two craters in the center just near the boundary are Eratosthenes and Copernicus. I think I can just make out Gay-Lussac.

The idea with the joist hangar is to make a motorized eq mount, drive it with OnStep, and somehow align it when it's hanging out of the window. I'll keep going with this camera for a while - no sense in spending yet.

1 hour ago, furrysocks2 said:

I've seen better "firsts". ;)

Yes but a first is a first all the same and if you hadn't bothered it would have been a never, if you know what I mean!!?

Well done I'm sure the most experienced on here will confirm, there's always things to learn and improve on. 

43 minutes ago, A budding astronomer said:

Here is my first attempt! ;) 

Also I had that exact same dob as a kid! Got me into astronomy! It's now chilling on my shelf. :)

Nice, Assuming that was with a different scope?

Got a few dozen 50-frame AVIs to sit down to - just finished putting the 8" dob away.

Archived