Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sleepy Dog Observatory, California, U.S.A.

SonnyE

OK, you may laugh, but here this works. :icon_biggrin: I did not originate this idea, I found where another posted about replacing his "Dome" for his mount. I adopted the idea wholeheartedly. His was under snow...

I live in a very mild climate of Southern California, USA. We get some high winds occasionally, but where I have settled on my observation "site" in my back yard (Garden), I'm fairly well protected by a block wall and further by an ivy type vines from the winds when they come, and it helps with the light pollution from behind us. And the spot gives me my best views of the night sky within easy walking distance of my bed and pillow....

Picture 2: I lovingly refer to this as my "32 gallon" observatory dome. Because it is a plastic trash bin, inverted over my mount. Under it is a waterproof canvas bag as my primary cover. It doesn't roll off, it lifts off.

I use a storage bin (blue) as a cover for my table side wiring connections, AC supply connections, USB powered hub that is 12 volt, and my AC connection for my Laptops power supply. My laptop is set on a tilt base that is attached to a swiveling base so I can easily turn my laptop to face my Mount/Telescope for focusing, or back towards my re-purposed office chair courtesy of a neighbor's dis-guarding it. The cushion gets put down under the mount for my little buddy to curl up on while he guards me against night noises. He drives off stray cats and an occasional Racoon wall walking in the night.

Sometimes I've been asked about my wiring, or looming as it were. And my battery box, which I've included here. I use the battery to power my mount and CCD camera's fan. Since going to strictly battery power for my mount, I have suffered no more motor drive circuity failures. Those plagued me in the beginning, in spite of using a genuine Celestron power supply.

So this is my Sleepy Dog Observatory tour. 32 gallon Dome, and all... :icon_cool: Laughable, but it works. So far, weatherproof too. :happy6: The open bottom aids in keeping things dry.

DSC_0833.JPG

DSC_0837.JPG

DSC_0838.JPG

DSC_0835.JPG

DSC_0841.JPG

DSC_0842.JPG

DSC_0845.JPG

DSC_0844.JPG

DSC_0843.JPG

DSC_0840.JPG

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

Well it made me smile but I didn't laugh at the Sleepy Dog Observatory. ? The 32 gallon dome makes it look like a Dalek without its pants on! Just dont fall in that pool! ??

Mike :thumbsup:

Thanks Mike. :icon_biggrin:

Yep, this time of the year, the temperature sez LOW. It stops at 60 degrees F.

So it's probably colder than a Brass Monkey about now.  I'm pretty careful and so far, so dry. But that possibility always looms. :wink:

Simple is, as simple does...

2 hours ago, Stu1976j said:

Made me chuckle :) so long as it works well for you that the main thing. looks like a sweet setup 

Thanks Stu!

It does work well for me. I wish I had the place for a real Observatory. I'd love to just open a dome and go to work.

But for now, this works very well.

Best wishes for your build, hope it goes very well for you! :Envy:

9 hours ago, SonnyE said:

Thanks Stu!

It does work well for me. I wish I had the place for a real Observatory. I'd love to just open a dome and go to work.

But for now, this works very well.

Best wishes for your build, hope it goes very well for you! :Envy:

Cheers, it's going well so far a long way from being a professional build like others on here, but can only do what the budget will allow and as long as it all works after I will be chuffed :)

11 hours ago, Stu1976j said:

Cheers, it's going well so far a long way from being a professional build like others on here, but can only do what the budget will allow and as long as it all works after I will be chuffed :)

Cheers back to you, It only has to be the best YOU can do. We don't care what the Pro's think.

Take pride in realizing you did it yourself! And that it only needs to please you. :wink:

Archived