Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lynx Astro Silicone Power Cables

FLO

These new high quality Silicone power cables from Lynx Astro remain soft and flexible, even in sub-zero temperatures! 

Lynx Astro cables are made for us - to our specification - using premium quality components and are individually tested during manufacture. 

Lynx Astro Premium Quality Power Cable for Sky-Watcher Mounts

lynxastro_pwr_skyw-mnt_cig_1.jpg

Lynx Astro Premium Quality Power Cable for Celestron Mounts

lynxastro_pwr_cel-mnt_cig_1.jpg

Lynx Astro Premium Quality 12v Dew Heater Power Supply Cable

lynxastro_pwr_dew_cig_1.jpg

Lynx Astro Premium Quality Female Cigarette Socket to M8 Ring Tongue

lynxastro_pwr_cig_socket_ring_1.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, FLO said:

Thanks and Kudos to my colleague Grant who has spent several months visiting manufacturers, selecting materials and testing prototypes to bring these new cables to market  :thumbright:

Thanks to @daz too :icon_salut:

It was Daz who suggested we use Silicone cables, he was annoyed at the way his regular cables became brittle and inflexible in the cold. 

Having seen some of the prototypes a little while ago, they look very impressive. In fact, they made me want to buy a new mount just so I could use one of them!!

Great work on these Grant, they are a solid product and a 'must have' upgrade.

Yes, trying to get USB cables that remain flexible at low temp as been a continuing problem for me, especially in the longer lengths I need from mount to laptop. I've recently bought some from RS but I'm not too sure how flexible they'll be after a night's imaging.

Silicone sounds a good idea for the insulation, silicon might be a touch stiff :D.

2 hours ago, swag72 said:

Are you going to consider some USB cables? Decent cables at a reasonable price would be a great seller I'm sure :) 

A number of people have suggested that so we are looking into USB cables :smile: 

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

Silicone sounds a good idea for the insulation, silicon might be a touch stiff :D.

Oops! 

Typos fixed :smile: 

• 1 month later...

Silicon cables are very flexible but have one very bad problem, they can very easilly split if nicked by a sharp item. Once the outer silicon cover is damaged almost any reasonably tight bending can propagate the damage into a full split right down to the inner cores. If possible use a nylon net external cover to protect the cable sheathing. Using this type of cable for USB may be prone to early failure. Silicon is just not tough enough to withstand wear and tear in external use. Standing on these cables will result in early damage. Mike ( Demon Barber) and I both use them for power transmission.

Derek

Have no fear, we have done our homework and chosen carefully :angel:

The silicone-based cable we use is surprisingly tough and is manufactured for use as a "power and control cable for use in machine and plant construction and toolbuilding".  

Typical fields of application include: 
- Steel, ceramic and iron works
- Bakery equipment and industrial furnaces
- Electric motor industry
- Sauna/solarium construction
- Thermal and heating elements
- Lighting technology
- Ventilator engineering
- Air-conditioning technology
- Galvanisation technology

Temperature range: -50 °C to +180 °C
(adequate ventilation required)

It will be happy as Larry running a mount outside in a garden or in an observatory. 

Having said that, if any cable becomes damaged it should no longer be used and if one of ours fails in any way within two years of purchase we will happily replace it free of charge. 

HTH, 

Steve 

2 minutes ago, FLO said:

Having said that, if any cable becomes damaged it should no longer be used and if one of ours fails in any way within two years of purchase we will happily replace it free of charge. 

Can't argue with that.  My second one is already on order :thumbright:

3 hours ago, Demon Barber said:

Hi Steve,is it possible to put a right-angled plug,it would be less strain on an already good cable.

It is possible but we haven't found any suitable right angle plugs, at least not without committing to crazy minimum order quantities that don't make sense for such a niche product. We will keep looking and if we find something we'll post details here :smile: 

4 hours ago, RichLD said:

+1 for the USB cables, especially the printer style A male to B male type :happy11:

We are currently testing USB and Cat5 cabling, looking for high flex at low temperatures.

Because USB cables are thinner than our power cables they are unlikely to be silicone-based, they will probably have a composite of other materials to achieve the characteristics we are looking for. 

HTH

On 06/02/2017 at 23:14, FLO said:

We are currently testing USB and Cat5 cabling, looking for high flex at low temperatures.

Because USB cables are thinner than our power cables they are unlikely to be silicone-based, they will probably have a composite of other materials to achieve the characteristics we are looking for. 

HTH

Have a look these people. 

http://www.cicoil.com/blog/company-news/item/flexible-power-cables-for-aerospace-applications-2

I get emails from them after an enquiry some years ago. They may not be cheap but have made cables for the satellites and space capsules. They appear to be make almost anything from standard cabling through to the very flexible and for any purpose.

Derek

Archived