Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice please

sterec

Recently I have started to notice some kind of aberration when I look through the eyepiece and on the images.

I enclose a sample but would be grateful for any advice on how to eradicate it rather than remove it in photoshop.

It is the circular arcs of light coming from the peripheral stars in the image.

m42.jpg

Hi

I can see what you mean but would need info on your equipment including camera, field flattener and any filters used. If the reflections move as the mount tracks the reflections should disappear with kappa-sigma stacking.

Do you have a dew shield / lens hood?

Louise

Louise

Thank you for your interest.  The telescope is a Celestron 6SE and I have attached a Nikon DSLR to capture the problem.  As I slew the size of the reflection changes and disappears when the object gets into the centre of the field.  I have used a field reducer sometimes and this makes no difference and the aberration is present right at the beginning and doesn't change in magnitude throughout the session.  I have made a dew shield and I am positive that there is no dew or other smears on the front of the telescope at the end of the session.  

I look forward to any further ideas you may have.

Stephen

From CN:

"After following this thread, and a couple of others, I decided to check my C6 on Jupiter and Vega last night.
Holy *bleep*...a terrible flare/ring when the bright target was moved off axis. I changed eyepieces and diagonal, as someone suggested, with no change. I then inspected the main baffle with a flashlight and found that the first inch or so (corrector end) had what looked like high gloss paint or shiny glue smeared on it. 
Tonight, I took the corrector off (marked it first, of course) and lined the shiny portion in the baffle with black felt.
I then took it out for another test...
:jump: :jump: :jump:
No more flare/ring and the background seemed to be darker.
A definite improvement!!
This is one nice little scope and is an absolute joy to use on my Vixen PortaMount.
Thanks to all for contributing to this thread and bringing the (possible) problem to my attention. "

Archived