Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Intergrated Flux Nebula Surrounding M31 Andromeda and M33 Triangulum

Here is a late processing of a widefield target from earlier this fall.  This field contains two major galaxies The Andromeda Galaxy(M31) and Triangulum galaxy (M33).

The IFN  "integrated flux nebula" is a very faint intra galactic dust cloud which reflects light emitted by our milky way.  IFN and ISM, interstellar medium, can be spotted sweeping across vast areas of our skies.  There are several surveys which have mapped out the IFN which can be very helpful for identifying faint structures.  It is very difficult to discern between gradients and ifn when processing structures this faint.   I was able to pull a strong luminance image from the green channel and bring out the faint nebulosity by blending with the original iamge. 

Sky Mag: 21.2
Integration: 70 x 90s subs at iso 1600, 105 minutes total integration 

Calibration: 25 Darks 35 flats 800 frame master bias

Camera:  full spectrum T2i and astronomik uv/ir cut clip filter.  

Lens: pentax-m 50mm F1.7 stopped to F4

Calibrated in Pi and processed in PS CC

C and C appreciated. 

31308380412_08f6bdbbcd_b.jpgIFN Surrounding M31 Andromeda and M33 Triangulum by Wes Schwarz, on Flickrounding M31 Andromeda and M33 Triangulum by Wes Schwarz, on Flickr

That's a lovely image of a very familiar part of the sky but which I don't remember seeing imaged in wide field in quite that way. I also  learnt something. I don't think I've come across the idea of integrated flux nebulae before. There's gotta be a more descriptive name surely? :)

22 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

That's a lovely image of a very familiar part of the sky but which I don't remember seeing imaged in wide field in quite that way. I also  learnt something. I don't think I've come across the idea of integrated flux nebulae before. There's gotta be a more descriptive name surely? :)

Thanks!, this explains a bit about it.  http://www.galaxyimages.com/UNP_IFNebula.html   It is a very faint molecular structure between our galaxy and neighboring galaxies illuminated by light emitted by the milky way.  

14 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

That does look convincing as IFN signal. It is so hard to know what's genuine but that has a ring of truth.

Olly

thanks Olly,  I was inspired by Hisayoshi Kato's image of this region taken at a much wider field.  I tried to post a link but it keeps wanting to display his image on the thread.   Later I realized that Rogelio had framed this identically only his version is flipped around so that you see the other side of Andromeda with a little bit less ifn.   Processing was tricky and I have actually even further refined my technique tonight.  I hope to get more data next new moon.

1 hour ago, Calypsob said:

Thanks!, this explains a bit about it.  http://www.galaxyimages.com/UNP_IFNebula.html   It is a very faint molecular structure between our galaxy and neighboring galaxies illuminated by light emitted by the milky way.  

My understanding is that IFN is due to intra-galactic rather than inter-galactic clouds of material. 

Archived