Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Narrowband Crab Nebula

derrickf

The fine, dry conditions that we had for a few nights in the last couple of weeks enabled me to capture about 9 hours of narrowband data of M1. I need to capture some new flats following a slight change to the imaging train so the image below is not as good as it might be but it still is worth showing, I hope. I'll reprocess when I have the new flats and post an update.

Equipment: TS (GSO) 12" truss RC (Operating at 1700 mm Focal Length with AP focal reducer) with modified back plate, Mesu200, Atik383L+, Atik EFW2, Lodestar X2 on Atik OAG

Captured with MaxImDl and processed in Pixinsight.

Exposure:  S-II=H-A=O-III = 12 x 900s  each filter. Combined using SHO script in Pixinsight and composited with a synthetic luminance made from all the subs. The colormask (sic) script in PI was helpful in modifying the image to a more pleasing (to my eye) colour palette.

Derrick

M1_SHO.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just comparing this to the one I took on the 28th Nov

It seems we're not too far off in terms of focal length, I have a 2000mm (F10 8" LX90) with a f6.3 reducer. After aligning mine over the top of yours and blinking between you have a significant amount of extra detail within the nebula and much tighter stars than I managed.

I think my stars are a combination of focus and guiding issues, both of which I will be "focusing" on next ;). However, in terms of detail in the nebula itself, how much of that definition you achieved is down to the narrow band filters? Curious as to how much better I can manage to get on luminance alone once I have focus/guiding more under control before I take the next step to buy various filters.

Love the image.

2 hours ago, Hicks said:

Just comparing this to the one I took on the 28th Nov

It seems we're not too far off in terms of focal length, I have a 2000mm (F10 8" LX90) with a f6.3 reducer. After aligning mine over the top of yours and blinking between you have a significant amount of extra detail within the nebula and much tighter stars than I managed.

I think my stars are a combination of focus and guiding issues, both of which I will be "focusing" on next ;). However, in terms of detail in the nebula itself, how much of that definition you achieved is down to the narrow band filters? Curious as to how much better I can manage to get on luminance alone once I have focus/guiding more under control before I take the next step to buy various filters.

Love the image.

Narrow band filters enable you to capture detail which is difficult to perceive in a wide band image but there is still quite a detailed structure that can be captured in LRGB. See my LRGB image from last year

I think you are on the right path - refining your focus and guiding before leaping into the added challenges presented by narrow band imaging is IMHO your best option.

Regards

Derrick

Archived