SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

AZEQ6GT help needed with motherboard connections

fondofchips

I've recently connected my AZEQ6GT reverse polarity, the mount died and I have purchased a new motherboard for it.  The motherboard & Synscan handset both powered up OK not connected to the mount, initialisation was OK.

The only problem is that some of the plugs have pulled out of the motherboard when I removed the cover plate & board.

I know where most of the plugs go but not all of them.  Has anyone got any pictures from removing the AZEQ6GT motherboard?  NOTE - don't try to remove your motherboard/access plate just to take photographs, some of the cables are a bit short and the plugs pull out of the sockets easily, AND most of them are the same size.  This is why I'm having trouble.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Harry.

Hi Harry,

I've also had to change the motherboard on mine, when a spiders' web in the ST4 port got damp & took out the semiconductor switch directly underneath...

I'm @ work so can't get to my pictures, but have a look at this, which has lots of useful info...

Harry, don't know if this helps but here is a photograph I took of my motherboard some time ago.  Shortly after I took ownership of the mount I found that the Dec encoder connection was disconnected  so I opened things up to see if I could effect a repair.  If you look closely you can see that the surface mounted connector socket is missing from the board - top right.  The  encoder feature was one of the reasons I went for the mount so I have it in mind to replace the motherboard myself in due course - I was unable to repair the connection myself - everything else still works fine so not really in any rush.

Jim

large.WP_20160918_17_18_18_Pro.jpg

Thanks Jim for the picture and Julian for the info.  The picture confirmed that I did have the motherboard connected up correctly.  I have had some issues withe the 7.5 amp battery conditioner/180ah battery combo I was using to power the mount, dew heaters & motorised focuser.  So I have purchased a 30 amp 12 volt power supply which has cured my erratic mount, it now works like new.

I bought this power supply: - http://www.pjbox.co.uk/amateur-radio/ham-power-supply/qjps30ii-30-amp-switch-mode-power-supply-unit-psu.html

Note that due to the weak pound the prices of all imported stuff is going up, the price of the power supply I bought went up £4 the following day. 

Currently sat in my warm room waiting for the cloud to clear.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Harry.

1 hour ago, fondofchips said:

Thanks Jim for the picture and Julian for the info.  The picture confirmed that I did have the motherboard connected up correctly.  I have had some issues withe the 7.5 amp battery conditioner/180ah battery combo I was using to power the mount, dew heaters & motorised focuser.  So I have purchased a 30 amp 12 volt power supply which has cured my erratic mount, it now works like new.

I bought this power supply: - http://www.pjbox.co.uk/amateur-radio/ham-power-supply/qjps30ii-30-amp-switch-mode-power-supply-unit-psu.html

Note that due to the weak pound the prices of all imported stuff is going up, the price of the power supply I bought went up £4 the following day. 

Currently sat in my warm room waiting for the cloud to clear.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Harry.

The AZ EQ6 is far happier being run higher than 12V (13.8 is perfect) anyway, so this is a perfect choice.  I have one exactly the same, but the digital version and it works a treat :thumbright:

Archived