Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Belt to Sword revisited

Uranium235

Picking up from where I left off last year, this week gave me one good evening to get this project up to 24 hours in Ha. Still not completely noise free in some areas, but Im going to settile for what I've got and start grabbing some OIII at the next opportunity.... at least then I can get some long overdue colour into it!

I've backed off on the curves a bit in order to keep the noise down to an acceptable level, but M42 was good enough to two runs of high pass. No additional contrast enhancement was used (didnt want it too crunchy).

OIII to follow when I get some good, clear nights... I tried it last night but the sky quality was awful, not worth bothering with so I chucked all that data in the bin.

8hr (x3 panes) Ha

Star71, Atik 383L+, NEQ6

Thanks for looking! :)

31444698735_d865151737_k.jpg

2 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Very nice Rob, looks like another masterpiece in the making, chucked all mine from last night.

Dave

Yeah it was a stinker of a sky last night ey? It "looked" clear at a casual glance, but inspection of any subs revealed horrid fuzzy halos around bright stars.... not what we're looking for!

Thanks all :)

I've been experimenting with some DSLR data I took ages ago to see if I could do some sort of blend with the Ha data (blended as lighten with the red channel and a little as lum).... its very, very rough, not much attention paid to the stars etc... its just to see if I can get it to work:

Registered-test-tgb.jpg

It would need a lot more exposure from the DSLR to make it work (this was just 1hr 15min)

14 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Wow, another mosaic beauty Rob.

I do admire your sharp images Rob, such a distinct signature processing style.  This could remain a mono for me as it displays the gas and dust at their finest.  Super.

Thanks Barry :) Yep, I'll do a mono version when I get the OIII because there is a fair bit of additional structure in M42 when OIII is added, I've got some ideas as to how to do it selectively in Ps without it being applied to the rest of the image (and potentially damaging the delicate dust structures).

Archived