sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Canon 6D or nikon d600/610?

After reading the Sony star eater story I abandoned the brand and looking elsewhere. I used to be a nikonian/touched canon bodies only a handful of times but that should not bias my decision for the future.

Any arguments for choosing one or the other? In this quick review they came up more or less even. I would like to monochrome-mod the camera and add a cold-finger-type cooling as well. And I know, there are cheaper mono  astrocameras, like the asi1600mm-c arund, but that tiny creature covers only 1/4 of the frame of the 6D/D610. Full Frame CCD's are way too expensive for my budget except a few KAI-11002 based 2nd hand unit, but that piece of hardware has so low QE (H-a: 30%) and so high noise, that a microlens-stripped DSLR might fare better... (and still significantly cheaper)

From my side:

For canon:

- I have a sigma ART 1.4/20 for EOS lens, currently used for videography but could make a great timelapser.
- Canon has a somewhat shorter flange distance - in case I have space issues, abovementioned review quotes vignetting, due to the smaller throat diameter (nikon: 44, canon 54mm) - this is a topic in my case, I plan to use a Riccardi reducer on my apo scope.
-Canon is broadly supported by the astrophoto community, has magic lantern firmware mods (whatever that means for astro...), etc.

For nikon:

-I do have and will keep my astro-modded D5100 for the time being. This means two sets of adapters.

Thanks Alan, I am leaning towards the canon too. Many "astro converters" haven't even heard about nikon :D (key project for me would be the monochrome modding, I've heard that canon's give up their Bayers a lot easier than nikons).

I am a Canon man, mainly because that is what I shoot during the day and I have all the bits and bobs for the system.

I do like the ISOlessness (made up word) of the more recent Nikons. But overall I believe that it is 80% effort and 20% kit....

Buying something like PixInsight and learning to process images better is a much cheaper investment than any kit...of course if you are excellent at processing then getting better kit is the only way at improving other than going to darker sites or exposing for much longer.

I wouldn't fancy mono modifying a Canon 6D...replacing the filter with a Baader one was bad enough...scraping the Bayer layer off just doesn't appeal to me on a (circa) £800 camera. Perhaps in 5 years time when I have got some use out of it...if it is worth it by then as there will no doubt be better options available by then.

• Like 1

Actually I don't know if the iso invariance bears any meaning for astrophotography. Of course one could push the subs, but taking the shots is not a race that someone would forget to set iso1600 or whatever the sweet spot is :D.

The IR blocking filter will go on the first day when I receive the camera, but I am seriously interested in the mono conversion. Apparently both H-a and O-III sensitivity can be doubled, which is a great thing (one has to compare 2:2 binned mono vs Bayered RGB results). I know, it's a steep learning curve, but I am ready to learn the mod, of course not by destroying tens of 6D's but hopefully <10 el-cheapo sensors from fleabay.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By JemC
      I have recently acquired a Vixen Polarie with the intension of doing some wide field imaging, 
      I will be using my modified Canon 600D with it, Currently the only lens i have are a standard kit Canon 18-55mm and a old carl Zeiss Jenna 50mm , so i am looking at purchasing alternative lens to use,
      The ones i am looking at for now are the following,
      Canon EF 135mm f/2 L USM
       Canon EF 200mm f/2.8 L II USM
       Samyang 135mm f2 ED UMC
       Samyang 14mm Ultra Wide-Angle f/2.8 IF ED UMC 
       Sigma 150mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM Macro
       Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX
      So my question is, has anyone used any of these ( other than the Samyang 135mm f2 ) for wide field and if so how did you find them, would you recommend any of them?
      from the ones listed (other than the Samyang 135mm f2 ) would you say there are better ones to look at or any other i should consider?
      Regards
      James
    • By JemC
      Hi all,
      As i am soon to be the proud owner of a Vixen Polarie star tracker i am looking for some advice from the experts here on SGL with regards to widefield imaging with the Vixen Polarie.
      I will initially be using it with a modified Canon 600D so am looking for advice on which lens would be best suited to use with it, I have already been pointed in the direction of the Samyang 135mm which by all accounts is a pretty good contender, so aside from that particular lens what other/s would you recommend that are Canon fitting,
      Thanks in advance 🙂
    • By DrummerSP
      Hi!
      Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong section (this is my first post on any kind of forum!) and I'm aware its a question thats probably been asked thousands of times. Please let me know if I should post elsewhere or anything...
      So I've made some progress with astrophotography but as much as I try I get so confused with lenses and the specifics so thought I'd ask people who understand them more. My setup so far is a Canon EOS 550d, with a 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens all on a Star Adventurer pro tracker (recently upgraded from an Omegon LX3 mini track). The camera and lens were both second hand and passed down to me so I dont really know how old they are now but I've been getting good results so far (uploaded one of my recent images, still using the minitrack for reference)
      Basically I dont know if I'm better off upgrading the camera and sticking with the telephoto lens (from what I can find its a good lens), or would changing to a small telescope be better. If I was to, from what I've found the Sharpstar 61EDPH II would be a good choice?
      I've researched a lot and just dont understand the technical side enough to know where I'm better off putting my money. My budget would be around £1000, maybe slightly more for a camera as I do use it for other photography too. Any advice would be very appreciated, sorry for the long post!

• By pete_81
      Hi all, just getting straight to the point.
      Just got a Rasp Pi 400 (equivalent to Pi4-4GB), and looking to get into guiding through this as it's obviously a popular (and successful) technique.
      Plan is to have the RPi as mini computer at home, running it with RaspPiOS (supplied on µSD with the full kit), then use it with a SECOND micro SD card for astro - I figure having another SD to run Astroberry (as on SGL) may ignore any issues with the family using the pi for other stuff in the house, giving a stand-alone 'computer' as the OS and files would be available on different SD's.
      From this point, I'd setup as follows:
      Connect the RPi directly via USB to the mount (it's the newer SW-AZ-EQ6Pro with the USB-B port on the mount)
      Guidescope (240mm f/4) with T7C (equivalent to ZWO Mini) again USB-B direct to RPi
      Nikon DSLR (either on telescope or using camera lenses) connected to RPi via Nikon USB (using the 3 USB points on the RPi-400) to control capture and later using this for plate-solving (but that's not for just right now!)
      I don't spy any flaws in the plan, it's just going to be a matter of testing and setting things up hoping to follow the guide for Astroberry as linked to SGL below...
      Or is there an alternative OS? From brief reading, Astroberry includes KStars & PHD2 which is what I've got for use on the macbook (although not used in earnest as it doesn't appear to like the cold too much!)
      What about guiding software - I know KStars comes with it's own, and can run PHD2 from within, with PHD2 being the industry standard (and simplest?) to use?
      Control will then be sitting in the warm via OS-X, which seems to be again a common technique as I've had posts on my other questions about this!
      Thoughts???
    • By Planetarian
      Just thinking how this setup would compare to normal astrophotography setups. Imagine a Nikon coolpix p1000 on an equatorial mount. Has anyone done that yet? 
      As I saw in the YouTube videos about the camera, it has absolutely no chromatic aberration, so I assume it's got apochromatic lens. It's magnification is extremely good (125x with 16MP sensor). The aperture is quite small tho compared to many different refractors available. 

So what do you think about the idea:  astrophotography with a Nikon?  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.