SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

December 5, 2016: 4-pane lunar mosaic

michael.h.f.wilkinson

It certainly does capture a lot of detail Michael. Astounding really to think its only 80mm. It has a lovely processed look to it. Love your processing on this.  Seeing looks a bit variable as I move around.

But as is always the case that's out of our hands. Just out of interest how many frames did you capture ? I find its a good tactic to over frame the capture. Meaning run it for longer. Then cherry pick. I usually capture around 6 to 10.000 frames for this idea. It often works well, more so under variable seeing.

2 hours ago, neil phillips said:

It certainly does capture a lot of detail Michael. Astounding really to think its only 80mm. It has a lovely processed look to it. Love your processing on this.  Seeing looks a bit variable as I move around.

But as is always the case that's out of our hands. Just out of interest how many frames did you capture ? I find its a good tactic to over frame the capture. Meaning run it for longer. Then cherry pick. I usually capture around 6 to 10.000 frames for this idea. It often works well, more so under variable seeing.

Cheers Neil, I captured 1000 frames per pane, and stacked 100 frames in each case. As the moon was rapidly moving towards the trees, I didn't dare try for more. Normally I go for about 2000, but I might try for more next time

31 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Cheers Neil, I captured 1000 frames per pane, and stacked 100 frames in each case. As the moon was rapidly moving towards the trees, I didn't dare try for more. Normally I go for about 2000, but I might try for more next time

I will bet if you try 6000 Frames the quality will improve slightly. Its just the law of averages. This applies to everyone really that's doing lunar. Because less frames are needed than planets. a lot of people think there is no advantage. Not so. Worth a go. To see if you agree or not.

Once again great detail for such a small scope. excellent processing

Just now, neil phillips said:

I will bet if you try 6000 Frames the quality will improve slightly. Its just the law of averages. This applies to everyone really that's doing lunar. Because less frames are needed than planets. a lot of people think there is no advantage. Not so. Worth a go. To see if you agree or not.

Once again great detail for such a small scope. excellent processing

I can go to 6000 or so with the 80mm (and I will try it some time), but with the C8 in full mosaic mode that would gather 1.5 TB worth of data, so unless I get a REALLY big SSD I will stick to 1000 frames per pane ;)

Archived