Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p.thumb.jpg.9baae12eeb853c863abc6d2cf3df5968.jpg

1CM69

Using a Moonlite Focuser & OAG combined

Hi,

I am considering going down the guiding route but have a number of questions.

I have been looking at the Celestron OAG: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/off-axis-guiders-oag/celestron-off-axis-guider-oag.html

along with the Celestron SCT OAG Adaptor: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/off-axis-guiders-oag/celestron_sct_oag_adaptor_93652.html

1. Would I still be able to use my f6.3 FR with this OAG?

I am also looking at getting a Moonlite Focuser, the FR type, which means that I could use my FR as normal infront of the focuser.

2. Would using both the Focuser & OAG be a problem?

3. Would the OAG connect to the back of the focuser or vice versa?

Thanks

I've just bought a Moonlite focuser from Rother Valley, fantastic deal only £244, that's without motor that I'll get at a later date but it's £50 cheaper than from Moonlite themselves & surprisingly far cheaper than my 1st port of call FLO, who only list the standard type for 2".

Really happy with the bargain and the help I received from Adam at RVO.

MoonLITE focuser just arrived & what a thing of sheer beauty. 

IMG_4037.JPG

IMG_4038.JPG

can't wait to try it out now, hope it works as good as it looks. 

• Like 2

Hi 1CM69,

I have the same Moonlite crayford in my setup with a SC8 XLT and 6.3 FR inside the moonlite. Did you add an OAG finally to your setup ?

I'm trying to figure out how i can add an OAG in front of the Moonlite and respect the 105mm back focus from the 6.3 FR...

51 minutes ago, basskep said:

Hi 1CM69,

I have the same Moonlite crayford in my setup with a SC8 XLT and 6.3 FR inside the moonlite. Did you add an OAG finally to your setup ?

I'm trying to figure out how i can add an OAG in front of the Moonlite and respect the 105mm back focus from the 6.3 FR...

My memory is pretty bad these days & I cannot remember if I did get it all fitted. 

Move now got rid of the MoonLite & Celestron OAG and use SX OAG & SX Filter Wheel with a powered MicroFocuser. 

Sorry Ely I can’t help you out. 

Regards..,

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By johnb
      Hope someone can help with my Moonlite Issue, the fine adjustment knob has come away from the main unit but 
      I simply cant see how to get it back in
      It wont simply push back in as it does not go in all the way and i notice the spindle has a small groove and again does that go in the knob or the main unit - hopefully the pics explain
      I looked on line but could not seem to find much
      Help appreciated
      Regards
      John B

• By Stu
      Quite a few bits and bobs to shift. All items £2.50 P&P OPEN TO SENSIBLE OFFERS
      Enjoy!
      ADM MDS Dovetail plate adapters i.e. Mini dovetail clamps x2 - £15 each, £27.50 for two. PENDING TO BRYAN
      Telepak1 without vixen clamp, handy gadget for adding a second scope to a counterweight bar, I used it on a Giro mount. - £20 inc P&P SOLD
      6x30 Finderscope with o ring but no bracket - £7.50 STILL AVAILABLE
      1.25" erecting Prism - £12.50 1 STILL AVAILABLE
      EOS to C adaptor with CS spacer - £22.50
      25mm Super Plossl - £10
      Payment via PayPal fees paid or gift, bank transfer also ok.

• By iPeace
      *** SOLD ***
      Bought this from a fellow stargeezer just over a year ago; had grand plans for a scope which could use this as a retro-fit but they never came to fruition. I kept it on as a spare and as such things go, it's just hung around, nicely wrapped and ready for action but the call never came. Now, it's time to find it a good home.
      Black 2" Moonlite CF focuser for refractor, shaft lock model.
      Comes - just as I bought it - with the flange for a Meade 5000 series 80mm triplet; flanges for other scopes are readily available. (FLO)
      Double finder dovetail shoes and 1.25" reducer included.
      Looking for £180 posted to UK. Please do try to tempt me with your offer.
      PayPal friends accepted.
      Please PM with any queries.
      Thanks for looking.

• By 25585
      Reading in various posts about people not having enough in-focusing for certain optics. 
      As I am considering a Moonlite focuser for my dob Newtonian, I see the single speed has an option of 70mm tube length. 
      While extension tubes for out-focusing can be added, I am wondering if the 70mm would be a good choice to cover any in-focusing need. I have never read of extra tube length being added for in-focusing so advice would be greatly appreciated. 
      I hope to get bino viewers in the future as well as a 2 inch or lower power barlow for the dob's. 
    • By 1CM69
      Hi,
      I am selling my Moonlite CS Dual Rate SCT Crayford with 2" Focuser.
      It has the tall flange to except Celestron reducer & .95" Draw Tube.
      Hardly used, in Gold/Orange
      Looking for £200 OVNO posted (Royal Mail special delivery by 1pm Tracked - UK ONLY) +by Bank Transfer or swap for Starlight Feathertouch: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/starlight-instruments-feather-touch-sct-microfocusers/microfocuser-for-celestron-925-sct.html 'CPC' version
      or Celestron Off Axis Guider (OAG) #93648: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/off-axis-guiders-oag/celestron-off-axis-guider-oag.html 
      Selling as I wish to go down the OAG route & this focuser uses up precious backfocus that I need. 
      Also advertised on Astro Buy Sell

thanks for looking

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.