SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Ever Lunar Photos 4-12-16

Fozzie

Evening all,

Finally the cloud penalty for the new camera has been paid, and earlier on I managed to grab some frames at varying settings for my first lunar photos..

Shot through the starwave 102 F11 with a EOS750d, undriven Skytee2 mount.

First is 1/30 ISO200 around 60 stacked   via PiPP and Registax.

Final Moon 1to30 ISO200.JPG

Second is the same but 1/40 on the exposure

Final moon 1in440 iso 200.JPG

And for fun I stacked the two sets together to give a 123 or so stack..

Final Moon Combined.png

Lots still to learn, but im happy with these as a first effort.

Any advice is welcome as ever... hope you all have some clear skys..

Thanks for looking

Fozzie

Many thanks all.. spent a lot of time on the processing to try and get the right tones and sharpness.. amazed at the detail that' has come through on them.. 

6 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

great shots Fozzie, lovely detail mate, next you should try a daytime one mate, there a bit more challenging but great fun all the same. well done.  charl.

Charl, you were right about the easier focusing, biggest problem I had was the exposure limit.. I had a 200 frames of iso400 1/40's and they were totally washed out!  

I have got some earlier frames but I've not looked at them yet...  took them as alignment shots to get everything sorted before the run.. ie scope, finders etc...

Many thanks again for the encouragement..

Ta

Fozzie

Fozzie they're great images sir, far superior to my first (and some of my latest!) efforts, sharp but not overcooked, plenty of detail, virtually no noise, you've nailed it.

+1 for ISO 100 where possible, but it all depends on your chip, moon phase and conditions I suppose. Don't forget if you're shooting raw you have a huge amount of range to play with on a DSLR as well so it never has to be bang on for 

17 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

Fozzie they're great images sir, far superior to my first (and some of my latest!) efforts, sharp but not overcooked, plenty of detail, virtually no noise, you've nailed it.

+1 for ISO 100 where possible, but it all depends on your chip, moon phase and conditions I suppose. Don't forget if you're shooting raw you have a huge amount of range to play with on a DSLR as well so it never has to be bang on for 

John, Many many thanks, really appreciate the positive comments from yourself, charl and others on these efforts..

My next run I will try with ISO 100 see where we end up, I've been assuming that as the phase develops to near full I might need to reduce these settings to keep the exposures in tolerance.. Experiment as ever as no doubt the conditions will play a part every time.

As for the processing, I stumbled across (read nudged by accident) one of the wavelet sliders in Registax and it seemed to do wonders to the image.. Now saved as a wavelet scheme for next time..

Really like the 750d camera, it's done some great photography over the weekend, as a foray in to my first DSLR i'm seriously impressed with the body and kit lens..  even some of the portraits have come out very well..

Thanks again!

Fozzie

Nice shots Fozzie.  I really shud try a bit of this myself.  Think I have all the kit I need to do so but I'm always a bit puzzled connecting the camera to the scope and then getting to the live view option.  I have the 1000D.  Used registax before while using a webcam. 

Your info re whats setting you are using will really help.  Come on John, get a shift on.

Look forward to more.   Regards   John

Thanks John..  If i'm honest the two bits that I don't yet fully understand is the focusing side and the wavelets... the later appears to be some kind of black magic if i'm honest..

The attaching to the scope is easy, T ring for EOS and a nose piece... getting the focus point is an odd one.. and the bit that really confused me.

With the camera straight in to the 1.25" reducer on the drawtube I could not find focus with the draw tube racked all the way out... however (more black magic, I suspect) add an extension tube and I had to rack the draw tube all the way back to a third of the full length.. overall it was about 20mm short of the fully racked out tube????!!!!???? I didn't understand that, but accepted it not the less..

Focusing with live view is ok, but I use the phone app.. easy to change the M mode settings, fire off a shot review and adjust focus, exposure/ISO etc.. then with the App you can check your focus is right quite quickly or make quick adjustments..

Worked for me..

Ta

Fozzie

Archived