Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Low Constellations with the Orion VX8

Mark at Beaufort

Another enjoyable observing session last night. Left the Wife watching Strictly Come Dancing with a glass of wine and I headed for Cetus, Sculptor and Fornax.

Started with NGC 253 which is a lovely Galaxy and easily found star hopping from Deneb Kaitos. The horizon was quite clear so headed down to the Glob NGC 288. It was faint because of the extra atmosphere but you could tell what it was. I have found NGC 247 a difficult object but I studied the area in detail on Stellarium so I knew the star pattern in the 13mm Ethos. Still faint but could detect with averted viewing.

The PN NGC 246 in Cetus was the next target but I had to use the Lumicon UHC to see it. It was interesting that I used an Astronomik O-III, Lumicon UHC and a Baader UHC-S to compare which was best. I think the Lumicon gave the best contrast view with the Baader much fainter.

The object I wanted to view was NGC 1097 in Fornax which is Caldwell 67 and one object I have not seen. The Galaxy is below -30 Dec so is low and I used the Orion VX8 because it sits higher on the SkyTee 2 than my 12" Dob which would put it below my fence. To find the Galaxy is best to find Iota 1 and Iota 2 and then move slightly left. Well I found all the stars to guide me and I thought once I could see the Galaxy with averted viewing but cannot be sure - I so wish I had the 12".

Ended the evening viewing many favourites so again an enjoyable observing session.

Nice report Mark :icon_biggrin:

I like rounding off with some favourites as well. Much better than packing in having failed to see something.

I can't really get to low objects from my back garden due to houses, schools and trees around us but I did mange to catch Venus, Mars and the Moon with my Tak refractor yesterday evening before I switched to the dob. I find I'm chasing objects through tree branches when they are really low - this leads to some interesting optical effects at times !

Exllent work Mark:thumbsup: Some of goodies of low NGCs.

I had actually a go on Caldwell 67 on Friday with my 8", it was only about 2° about horizon here, just  couldn't make it out depite some good minutes spent on it. Scultor galaxy is a treat, much brighter than many other higher galaxies, while 288 is very dim as such a large GC.

Archived