Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Short Streaks in Orion Image - What Are They?

Looking at a quick shot of the Orion's Belt & Sword region I noticed a number of short streaks in them. They are all the same length, the ones on the right are parallel while the angle changes across the image. The brightest ones are at centre-top and just below M42, but there are three close parallel ones at bottom right.

31024234640_eec8dc28e5_h.jpg

The image is a single 2 minute exposure with an old 135mm lens, so the field of view is about 12 by 9 degrees, with a quick process. It was taken at 11:22PM on the 29th November, looking at Stellarium the coordinates of M42 were Az/Alt 150/25.

Does anyone know what I'm looking at please? The trails are too short for normal satellites, which would cross the frame in 2 minutes. When I see a single streak like this in an image I tend to assume it's a meteor but these show no variation in brightness across the track. It all looks too regular and the motion is too rapid to be near earth asteroids. Could I be looking at geostationary satellites? If so, hopefully some clever bod on here can tell me which ones. :)

As suggested these are satellite trails from geostationary satellites. A Google search with geostationary ,astrophotography and Orion as search parameters will give you  info , piccies and compiled video :icon_biggrin:

On 12/4/2016 at 10:23, LeoLion said:

As suggested these are satellite trails from geostationary satellites.

I was thinking geostationary satellites were the most likely explanation but it's good to have an independent confirmation thanks, I wasn't sure if I was missing something. It took quite a bit of searching to find anything, most sites are geared up towards showing passes for visual observers. I eventually found what i was looking for on CalSky. Entering my location, selecting geostationary satellites and entering the date & time of the image gives this list (assuming the direct link works). The satellites in Orion are some way down the list, I should be able to match a few up. They are parked about 38,000km away.

On 12/5/2016 at 20:42, Stormbringer said:

great photo :thumbsup:

looked last night and again tonight but cant see the streaks , guess not used to looking for them

Thanks. If you click on the image and choose full size they should be easier to spot, the brightest one is at centre-top. I count 7 in total, with 4 faint ones grouped at bottom right. Since it's a 2 minute exposure they are about half a degree long.

• 2 months later...

Archived