Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Roll off roof, manual or motorized?

mikeDnight

I'm considering using some kind of mechanical method of opening and closing my roll off roof. Up until a couple of weeks ago it rolled with little effort just by pushing. Since ive carried out some essential repairs the roof has proved to be quite a bit heavier. I can still move it ok, but as im getting older, 54 presently, I'm just planning for the time when I might not feel like giving myself a coronary or a slipped disc. 

I'm looking for ideas and inspiration! Some kind of mechanical or electronic method of opening a runoff roof is what I'm looking for, but not sure about my options. Hopefully there will be some on SGL  who can point me down the path I need to go.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

• Like 1

Hi. You say it rolled with little effort, I assume you have  a runner system, tracking or wheels, or does  the roof just slide, wood on wood, in which case the extra weight  over friction will cause a big  issue.
I would instigate some sort or horizontal pulley system, wheels or tracking included!
A series of pulleys reduces the effort you need to assert.

Edited by Charic

Garage door openers operate both our robotic sheds. The big shed (masterminded by Per) has to have the device modified so it can be pulled centrally, so the motor is fixed and the chain moves with the roof. (The roof is about 5M wide so it can't be pulled from one side.)

The smaller, single scope shed rolls so easily that having the door opener on one side isn't a problem and it needed no modding at all. I just fixed the mechanism outside the shed, boxed in against the rain, and as the motor dives itself along the fixed chain it takes the roof with it.

Mike, I don't know what wheels/rails you use but the ones with female vee section steel wheels running on male vee section steel rails roll with the touch of a finger.

Olly

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 03/12/2016 at 20:31, mikeDnight said:

I'm considering using some kind of mechanical method of opening and closing my roll off roof. Up until a couple of weeks ago it rolled with little effort just by pushing. Since ive carried out some essential repairs the roof has proved to be quite a bit heavier. I can still move it ok, but as im getting older, 54 presently, I'm just planning for the time when I might not feel like giving myself a coronary or a slipped disc. 

I'm looking for ideas and inspiration! Some kind of mechanical or electronic method of opening a runoff roof is what I'm looking for, but not sure about my options. Hopefully there will be some on SGL  who can point me down the path I need to go.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Mike,

I am also thinking about the design of a small observatory that I would like to build. On this topic I found item   eBay item number:   400855884979   which is a manually operated winch for about £12 new.

I have no experience in using one of these but I think it is worth a look. Most of them seem to use wire cable, but some have webbing straps.

Hope you get a suitable solution.

Jack

• Like 1

A garage door opener is the first thing that pop's to mind for making life easy. Depending on your roof, you could put the entire drive in the roof so when it opens there is nothing but clear skies. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Martin,

Can you descibe how you fitted your garage door opener?

I am planning to upgrade my obs rails to female vee section steel wheels running on male vee section steel rails and then to add a garage door opener. The Easygate system you linked to looks good value for money.

Since posting above I've developed a preference for rack and pinion driveway gate openers. The motors are more powerful. One of the garage door openers began to operate erratically in winter and was cured by adding a very mild heating element (a puppy warmer!) to the box containing the electronics. Since then, though, we've converted the big shed to this system and built a new one using a gate device as well. If you try this system be sure to disable the 'pedestrian' feature intended to allow only a partial opening for a person rather than a car to pass.

Olly

• Like 2