Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ray's Observatory Build

RayD

On 18/12/2016 at 10:34, RayD said:

I'm definitely not keen on the idea of cables across the floor, so as suggested am having 2 conduits under the floor between the warm room and pier (with draw cables).

I went down a slightly different route for my USB cables and wish I had done it for power cabling as well. I simply cut a slot in the flooring and put plastic trunking into the slot (supported from underneath).   The top of the trunking run level with the top of the floor. To lay a new cable I simply pullback the carpet, pull off cover of the trunking and lay the new cable - simples. :icon_biggrin:

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, michaelmorris said:

I went down a slightly different route for my USB cables and wish I had done it for power cabling as well. I simply cut a slot in the flooring and put plastic trunking into the slot (supported from underneath).   The top of the trunking run level with the top of the floor. To lay a new cable I simply pullback the carpet, pull off cover of the trunking and lay the new cable - simples. :icon_biggrin:

Great idea.  I can get hold of loads of trunking via work for free.  Galvanised as well so that would work better for any potential vermin.  I was planning to trunk the obey walls anyway, so this might be a little change of plan.  Thanks :thumbright:

• 2 months later...

At last the cold weather relented, I had a bit of time on my hands, and progress has been made.

Firstly the concrete pour, which happened on Thursday.  Given the costs and time, I went with a ready mix, but one which they actually mix on site.  Really good, really quick, and it took 2 of us a total of 35 minutes to complete, and that includes fair bit of vibrating with my bargain poker (£40) to ensure everything was just right.

20170323_092517.jpg

20170323_084805.jpg

Progress following striking the shuttering this weekend has been pretty good.  Started with plenty of cuts and generally starting the framing out of the base.  For this I have been using treated timber, but still used copious amounts of end grain treatment:

20170325_093523.thumb.jpg.f1fc9e2b88167f4985be96e71be5e722.jpg

This is the stuff I used, and below are examples of before and after, and also you'll see in the pictures I treated everywhere the wood was penetrated, such as screw heads etc.

20170325_102435.thumb.jpg.c757a50edbb2b5469084c8ce22839fb0.jpg20170325_102503.thumb.jpg.ee21cd348538cf2352688c97fdd0c54f.jpg20170325_100302.thumb.jpg.d4f23522ee0a8461d2128727f1f991ba.jpg

Framing was relatively straight forward, and made much easier with my big Paslode, which really hammers home the ring nails for the noggins, which will never be coming out.

Squared up the frame first then put in the bearers, followed by the noggins, then set out the remainder of the support blocks.

20170325_101656.thumb.jpg.8ea13afabfc1456a51ef35e5bf20b007.jpg

Tried to make sure that each of the bearers were square as possible as there is 100mm of insulation going in so that would make it easier.  Used the timber tite screws for all the main beams.

20170325_123445.thumb.jpg.24488f2edceb60477ed60afeea87de2d.jpg

20170325_131409.thumb.jpg.df8ab7c726728e932a82dd76f8c67c3f.jpg

20170325_180531.thumb.jpg.bc4009e680b6398500d7f1d295a6895c.jpg

I was going to use underfloor trunking in the obsy, but because of the insulation I decided that 2 x 50mm pipes would be easier.

Jumping on a bit, I put weed matting down just to tidy things up and reduce the likelihood of weeds growing underneath, and put some gravel on for blinding to just stop it flapping about in the wind.

20170326_152453.thumb.jpg.6a20bd165aa76dd4f5ac48388359ac6c.jpg

Made a little jig to set some blocks in at 100mm down so insulation would sit on them and not drop through, then started on installing the insulation in 2 layers of 50mm.  No reason for this instead of a single 100mm sheet other than the 50mm was on offer when I got it so it worked out a lot cheaper.

The little Paslode came in handy here as it fitted perfectly between the joists.

20170326_161300.thumb.jpg.5b4c982eac1ef4345c1e1fe2ff379a63.jpg

20170326_164355.thumb.jpg.78a7b35848972adbbdc49ceaf25a05bf.jpg

Finally just had a bit of time left to get some of the insulation in.

20170326_170650.thumb.jpg.d66da4a7571a2924b49c1a1c0a5fcbb2.jpg

20170326_181759.thumb.jpg.df2b121a721635155c830eadd5317b57.jpg

That coming on well Ray .  when I made my one and time to adding wheels for the roof to roll on ,I put wood blocks at the point were the roof pull  down  on ,    save putting load the wheels when not in use. the blocks are not fix just push them in .

11 minutes ago, Starlight 1 said:

That coming on well Ray .  when I made my one and time to adding wheels for the roof to roll on ,I put wood blocks at the point were the roof pull  down  on ,    save putting load the wheels when not in use. the blocks are not fix just push them in .

Thanks.

To be honest I've not actually finalised the design of the roof yet, it's still a case of see how it looks when I get closer (only with regard to what wheels etc. to use).

I've been looking at lots of ideas and some are great.

I have my roof run of front or back  help with cutting down on lights and if Stars are low  the roof get in the way , down size take up 30ft of garden  so to hide it up I put 4x4 in slots on the runners  for plants to hang on ,  do not like any thing like a astro shed.

3 minutes ago, Starlight 1 said:

I have my roof run of front or back  help with cutting down on lights and if Stars are low  the roof get in the way , down size take up 30ft of garden  so to hide it up I put 4x4 in slots on the runners  for plants to hang on ,  do not like any thing like a astro shed.

Good idea, I like that.

I'm actually running it over the top of the warm room, but still figuring out exactly how :dontknow:

I was actually planning the planting around mine today.  Putting in a little half round log fence, then putting gravel behind that for a French drain, and then going to put some shrubs in front of it.

Long way to go yet, but now the concrete is poured it's a bit of a relief.

8 hours ago, Nova2000 said:

Good to see progress! :)

What have you planned about the wiring and condensation problem? 

I know that feeling.  I was getting desperate to get on with it, but pouring concrete at 5 degrees and below is not a good idea at all, so I really needed to wait until I could pretty much guarantee being above that.

Wiring between the warm room and mount is through those 2 x 50mm white plastic pipes, and the main supply is going to be an armoured cable from the shed next to the obsy, which has a 40A supply already in it.

Condensation shouldn't be an issue at all, and is one of the reasons for the amount of insulation that's going in.  Although, I do still intend to have a desiccant dehumidifier in the scope room for when I close the roof, just to dry things out and warm the room a bit.

18 hours ago, RayD said:

And yes that is my blood on those pipes.  I worked my fingers to the bones!!!!! :wink:

Ray,

I saw that right off.

When I was setting up my first shop with this wife, she used to come home from work and check the bathroom waste can for bloody bits. Then would come out and insisted on knowing where I'd hurt myself and how bad.

Work your fingers to the bone, and what do you get? BONY Fingers! :headbang:

48 minutes ago, SonnyE said:

Ray,

I saw that right off.

When I was setting up my first shop with this wife, she used to come home from work and check the bathroom waste can for bloody bits. Then would come out and insisted on knowing where I'd hurt myself and how bad.

Work your fingers to the bone, and what do you get? BONY Fingers! :headbang:

At least yours asked SonnyE, mine didn't even bat an eyelid :cry:

I told her that even my fingerprints had gone as my scanner thing on my Mac didn't work and she just said "oh" :laugh2:

Had a couple of hours tonight so got the rest of the floor insulation done.  All finished now and ready for the flooring ply which is being delivered Thursday.  

20170328_200138.thumb.jpg.111e8a0f51c46ff2b6e0aac7311bef90.jpg

All good progress now especially as I'm off to Modern Astronomy tomorrow to pick up my Mesu, which is quite exciting.  At least by the time I've learned to drive it I should have a safe home for it :thumbright:

4 hours ago, Nova2000 said:

Hi Ray

I think you will bolt the Mesu pier on the concrete!? 

That would be tempting Rajesh!

I'm waiting for my pier to arrive anyway, so until all the work is done I think my usage of the Mesu is going to be strictly learning indoors.

Flooring arrived today.  Went with 18mm hardwood faced ply.

20170330_164843.thumb.jpg.89c0d31530d22652039d6bfd016c06d5.jpg

Got it all laid after work and got some chicken wire round the bottom (thanks for the tip Carole).  With the chicken wire, oh my goodness how good is Wilco???  This stuff was £28 in B&Q, £11 in Screwfix (odd as they are both owned by Kingfisher) and £5.50 in Wilco.  That place is great, I came out with all sorts :thumbright:

Anyway, used my hammer stapler to attach the mesh to the joists, then overlaid this with weed matting, and on top of this is going gravel.

20170330_190018.thumb.jpg.21f80a2d1c33975908b2d1dd5c41b131.jpg

Happy with progress now as I'm nearly ready to start getting walls up, which is when the thing starts looking like an observatory.

20170330_175502.thumb.jpg.f4350028923031416749cba757bafaf2.jpg

Love the rubber gloves over the pipes.  

got some chicken wire round the bottom (thanks for the tip Carole). 

Wish some-one had given me that tip before I laid my decking, despite putting wood around the edge the wildlife have tunnelled underneath making a mess of the edge of the lawn.  I think I am going to have to lay paving around the edge of the decking now.  

Carole 

1 hour ago, Shibby said:

Who is trapped under your floor??? ;)

Quick/dumb questions - why insulate the floor?

looks like they have been there a while. what with those very white looking arms. maybe they are albino.

2 hours ago, Shibby said:

Who is trapped under your floor??? ;)

Quick/dumb questions - why insulate the floor?

It's my moaning neighbour :icon_biggrin:

Couple of reasons for insulating the floor really.  First and foremost it is because when the obsy roof is closed, particularly during periods of rainy cold weather, which is the majority of the time, I wanted as controlled an environment as I could get without spending the earth to do so.  A huge amount of heat is lost through the floor, so small investment in insulation means I can much easier control the environment when the roof is closed, meaning that once the dehumidifier goes on if there has been lots of dew, the moisture should dissipate pretty quickly, and the room warm to a temperature that I'm happy for my kit to live in.  This is particularly relevant in the warm room section, which I want to be cosy and toasty in the Winter, but cool in the summer.

Secondly, and maybe not so relevant as it's only my pea sized brain coming up with its own theories, I thought that insulating the floor would minimise any likelihood of thermals rising from ground which may be damp, and then drying out on a warm evening.

Finally, and this is just me hedging bets, if it all goes belly up, as may be the case having just broken my brand new Mesu, then I can revert the obsy to a fully insulated shed very easily.

Obviously insulating isn't essential, but it also isn't prohibitively expensive to do whilst I was building the floor anyway, so made sense to me to do it.

Archived